Mulberry and hackberry seasoning time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian89gp

Minister of Fire
Mar 15, 2008
Kansas City
Anybody know how long these two take to season if cut in the winter time?

I would give both of them a couple years. Hackberry get it off the ground asp. As it will go to crap real quick. Mine has in the past if not off the ground in a few months

Hello from another KC'er. Hackberry and mulberry if done single stack in the sun and wind it can be ready for next burn season. But both will dry pretty quickly, will be definitly ready for the 14-15 season.

After C/S/S, do like chevyman said.....get it off the ground, stacked in rows where the breeze can hit it and it should be ready to go if needed by next winter. Definately by fall 2014.....

Anybody know how long these two take to season if cut in the winter time?
Hackberry 1 year with good sun and wind exposure ,mulberry alot like oak 2 years minimum for maximum heat extraction.

Thats good to hear that it might be ready by this winter. I only have enough storage space for 1 year and usually get a lot of silver maple because it is good in less then a year.

How does mulberry compare to black walnut in drying time?

Thats good to hear that it might be ready by this winter. I only have enough storage space for 1 year and usually get a lot of silver maple because it is good in less then a year.

How does mulberry compare to black walnut in drying time?
black walnut is generally ready in a little over a year or so. Mulberry should have a little more time for optimum output......

Get on the '3 year plan'.......I let all my wood season three years, and never have a problem with moisture....

Mulberry needs a little more time than the likes of stuff like cherry and most maple. 18 months minimum for me. Most of what I burn is 12-14.

grew up with mulberry and black walnut. 12-16 inch splits won't hiss after a summer. No idea about EPA stoves...the hurdle seems higher and I've never had either since moving from NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.