mulberry tree ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abj1969

Sep 17, 2007
S.Jersey
is this wood ok to burn in a wood stove? it it considered soft or hard wood?

thanks in advance,
joe

I burn it in my insert after it has properly seasoned.
I have foud it to be a pain to split as it corkscrews when it grows.
I would look at it as in the same class as wild cherry and other fruit woods, definately not soft, but not as hard as oak or maple.

ok thanks.. so it will be fine to mix in with my oak and won't hurt anything.

Outstanding wood, pops, and burns long. One at the top on the list of snobby wood gatherers, (that list includes me now that I am 3 years ahead now...).

thanks guys.. i'm gonna grab it then...

Where I live we do not get Oak hardly at all so Mullberry is the next best thing.

Actually it has exactly the same btu content as red oak on those more detailed firewood btu charts on the internet.

Another thing to consider if you are into smoking meats on the BBQ, I think it is great for poultry applications and carries less risk than the other traditional fruitwoods for poultry like apple etc. which may be sprayed with pesticides.

thanks guys . thats exactly what i wanted to hear... i have the chance to get some for free and i wanted to make sure it was ok to burn....

lol.. just noticed that i'm a burning chunk now.

Good job and asking the questions first but on this forum people burn ANYTHING...(that was a poke at all you pine burners out there :)

I'm burning a lot of mulberry right now. I like it so far, this is my first experience with it. It does seem to produce a bit more ash than some of the other woods I've burned. Not sure why, but it's not really an issue. Plenty of BTU's though!!

I am burning locust right now for the first time..I like it too, burns hot and I was actually suprised that it has a pretty long burntime to it

Adirondackwoodburner said:
Good job and asking the questions first but on this forum people burn ANYTHING...(that was a poke at all you pine burners out there :)

Hey, I'll have you know that I won't burn just anything in my stove....It has to be FREE anything ;-)

BTW, season out that wood for a long time...... and you will be rewarded with long burn times.

Status
Not open for further replies.