Mulberry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
I have a some mulberry in the pile now. Funny RED stripes in the wood, but very lite when dry. but the darned stuff seems to burn a lot longer than I expected given how much it weighs when dry. Anyone else out there burn this stuff?

Not yet, but I have my eye on a few big ones that are growing along my property line. Good to hear it burns decently as I'll have quite a pile in the next month or so.

mulberry is ass-kickin' wood, same family as osage orange. the only drawback is that it sparks a lot. if you've got burn it!

bruce56bb said:
mulberry is ass-kickin' wood, same family as osage orange. the only drawback is that it sparks a lot. if you've got burn it!

I haven't noticed it sparking anywhere near as much as pine.... Plus..inside a wood stove it can spark all it wants...just a better show if you ask me.

I'm glad you agree.

lots of mulberry around here , love the stuff . great hard wood .

The always seem to be around the edges of yards...kinda like Sumac. They can get enourmous.

Around here they are mainly "pioneers", mostly growing along roadsides and unmowed fence lines. They come up quick and grow pretty fast. They kind of sneak up on you if you're not paying attention. The trees I'm going to cut are red mulberry and are roughly 12-20" dbh. They are probably 25 plus years old and produce a lot of fruit every year (reddish/purple), so they are messy. Although it's kind of cool having dogs with purple feet.....NOT!!!!
Anywoo, looking forward to burning some of it this coming winter. I've got my eye on a big (standing dead) sassafras and a couple of big Black cherry as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.