Mulberry...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey

Feeling the Heat
Just started burning through my stack's and finally came to some Mulberry. I guess i'm just so spoiled by burning Oak most of the time. I can't seem to figure out the Mulberry, it's plenty dry, but it just won't get the secondary's firing in the stove. My Oak and Ash burn great,,,but the Mulberry, not so much. Way to many spark's from the Mulberry when you open the door to the stove, actually pretty dangerous. I would advise to ad a extra layer of protection and eye wear when reloading with Mulberry. Spark's fly out of the stove a few feet past the hearth pad.

But the sparks make it fun, man! Then again, I haven't had a spark land in my eye yet, so maybe I've just been lucky. Don't know if you've measured the moisture content, but I've found that mulberry needs a couple years, similar to oak.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Ive got some in the stacks as well. Standing dead. Havent burned any yet so I can not speak for the qualities of it. Said to have plenty of BTU's. Will find out 2 years from now on mine.....:p

Mulberry really kicks butt when dry and yes it does throw tons of sparks. Kind of strange that it isn't throwing lots of heat for you, wish I could have an answer for you.....

I burn a lot of mulberry. It grows heavy in fence rows, and I clean a ton of it out of my evergreen trees.

2yrs for it to dry, but it should throw a lot of heat for you. I stack it with my "heavy hitters" pile, which consists of Osage, locust, a little oak, and lots of mulberry.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I'm with Firefighter938 I burn a lot of mulberry. Needs a couple of years, but the heat I believe is awesome. I have burning for it for last couple of weeks on the cold nights and the blue secondaries are amazing, plus the heat feels amazing.

I hope you gave it three years of seasoning. Even standing dead or laying down dead. It holds moisture for years. It will burn hot with fireworks, but it should throw off nice heat and colorful in the secondaries

Mine is around 3 years seasoned now, coming across some in the stacks from before when I knew better to separate it. I've used it for overnight burns so as to avoid the excitement

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Status
Not open for further replies.