Mulberry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RnG17

Sep 9, 2010
PA
Friends dad had got a ton of trees cut down, a lot of it he said was Mulberry, seems to be decent wood, read online on the btu scale it was good stuff. Question I had was, after cutting it up, on the outer edge of the cut pieces it would foam white and seem to get sticky if it got on your hands but then once completely dry it went away. Guessing it was because it was so wet. Even got sparks from the saw. Guessing its ok to burn, I see that others do? Didn't cut much due to the saw not operating properly, need to mess with the chain oil adjuster, last time I used the saw it came flying out, cleaned the saw and now hardly no oil, go figure!

Good stuff seasons Quick n I think it burns like oak......

Mulberry is the closest related to Osage Orange/Hedge. It has a low moisture content to start with and dries pretty quickly and burns great. And yep that milky latex sap is a bearcat. Sticky sticky sticky and gets on everything. If you can hold off splitting for a while. it won't be nearly as bad.

We burn a cord or so of Mulberry we cut from fence lines each year. Burns hot and seasons quick. Doesn't coal up as nice as oak or hickory, but not bad. One warning is that is throws alot of sparks when reloading/stoking the fire. Not recommended at all for open fireplaces for this reason.

Its interesting that some guys say it seasons quick, I've read others saying it took two years to dry. I'm going to let it sit for a few months and split it maybe in November or December. And then I'll check it next year at that time, but if it needs to sit another year then I'll let it sit. I really wanted it for overnight and while I am at work, but I hear good things about it besides its sparky. Have to take some bad with the good sometimes!

I burned a bunch of it in my stove two seasons ago and I'll second the fact that it does spark more than other types of wood.

When I say it season's quick I mean , if you split it and stack it for being such a hard wood it seasons quick (1 yr) . I stack mine single row in the sun it gets allot of big cracks in it, turns a rust color , it does spark allot so I take my time opening the door when I reload..... burnt allot of it ,its considered a weed tree around here and I find allot of it at the local dump...

Status
Not open for further replies.