mulbery anny good

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple man

Burning Hunk
my dad gave me about 1.5 cords of mulbery and i was wondering if it it is anny good i burnd a cupple logs and they sisseld theyv ben css fore 8 mounths thanks

Mulberry is excellent firewood. As dense as mulberry is 8 months drying time may be a little short. I like to season it at least 2 years then save it for the coldest part of winter.

maple man said:
my dad gave me about 1.5 cords of mulbery and i was wondering if it it is anny good i burnd a cupple logs and they sisseld theyv ben css fore 8 mounths thanks

Yes, Mulberry is very good wood. I've burn't a little this year, but next year I'll have a lot to burn. What the moisture content? If its bacon then it should be sizzling, but wood should not sizzle. Sounds like too much moisture. IMHO. Good Luck.

It'll be prime next year. Plus it looks cool after it sits in the sun.

If cut green I think it takes about as long as oak to dry. Good wood though.

I am burning some two yr+ mulberry and it burns great. Almost like oak.

I'd give it more time if you can. I cut about 1 cord of it this past February/March. I'll not even think about burning it until 2012/2013 winter season.

A neat looking wood. Related to Osage Orange.

Generally speaking, most all fruit wood is good stuff.

I love it. Just pulled a 1-1/2 Tuesday. Seasons pretty quick and throws the sparks what more can you ask for. Mulberry black locust and hedge. If you see yellow its a good day!

I have a lot of mulberry. I had it stacked around april this spring. Its burning fine.

The rounds are still a bit too wet. I throw them in with a couple splits of cottonwood. seems to be working ok.

mecreature said:
I have a lot of mulberry. I had it stacked around april this spring. Its burning fine.

The rounds are still a bit too wet. I throw them in with a couple splits of cottonwood. seems to be working ok.
You cut it green and the splits are ready now, thats good to know I did not think it would dry that fast, it does seem like green mulberry rounds take a while.

oldspark said:
mecreature said:

You cut it green and the splits are ready now, thats good to know I did not think it would dry that fast, it does seem like green mulberry rounds take a while.

I was aiming for this year so I split pretty small.
I have split some this year for next season and they are 3 times as big.
I made sure to try to split all rounds too within reason.

We also had close to the driest summer in a long time, and hot. Another year would probably be good but you go with what ya got.

I have some Mulberry that was cut and split a year ago. I threw a split in for ha ha's....not ready yet. Next year. It is heavy, dense wood. Very nice to look at, and puts on a show in the stove!

Great stuff,its one of my favs.I usually get some every year,its all over around the midwest & most of the east except for far north.

It'll make a good bow also. Almost as good as Osage Orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.