Mulching 101

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother got me a big load of cow manure early Fall that was a bit fresh .
Composted it over the Winter and tilled it in the following June. That was two years ago.
I got these horrible invasive weeds where I used that and wished I'd never used it. Still getting rid of them.

I collect leaves in the Fall just blow them into a huge pile tarp it to keep them dry and mix them with the lawn clippings and everything else in the compost pile all Summer. Inverted cone for a pile top so water stays in the pile . Cone like a roof so the compost pile sheds the water in the Winter.
Just plain lawn clippings smells pretty bad on a hot day too. :)
A good green and brown mix doesn't smell at all.

cow manure is good

Chicken is better ( look for a chicken farm, they will sell the manure)

Bat Guano is the best!!!... no seriously it is

phatfarmerbob said:
cow manure is good

Chicken is better ( look for a chicken farm, they will sell the manure)

Bat Guano is the best!!!... no seriously it is

Yea I got 17 chickens. There only 8 weeks old so thats going to take some time. Bat Guano would have to be a very high dollar crop. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.