Mullberry WOW Dont burn my house down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff6443

Jul 29, 2008
NJ South
I got alot of free Mullbery first year in this house put my VC DW in in June Hey so far it works . I know all about it . I have a warrenty
. If you want to see a show burn mulberry she will burn your house down . . If you have a fire place I like it good show

Dumbfishguy said:
I got alot of free Mullbery first year in this house put my VC DW in in June Hey so far it works . I know all about it . I have a warrenty
. If you want to see a show burn mulberry she will burn your house down . . If you have a fire place I like it good show

You have a warrenty for your wood? How can I get one for mine?

ya fish guy, hook me up too! mulberry is good for smoking. .. no, not in your pipe, but to smoke meats. it gives off an apple smell. . very nice ! but for heat BTUs , i have no idea.

Adabiviak said:
Explosion?

bahaha, that would be AWESOME! I think it's probably not the case, however :(

I also want a warranty that covers any fire damage to my wood. 100% replacement in case it gets burned ;-)

i think he's talking about the sparks and popping. it's is similar to hedge/osage orange

in that aspect.

I burn Mullberry a lot. Splits saws and looks just like locust. Except it turns purple as it ages. But it will practically explode as it burns. The older it is the worse it explodes. Especially if it was standing dead for a long time. But it heats very well, just as good as locust, which makes up most of the rest of my pile. I wouldn't burn it in an open fire place.

Superlite said:
I burn Mullberry a lot. Splits saws and looks just like locust. Except it turns purple as it ages. But it will practically explode as it burns. The older it is the worse it explodes. Especially if it was standing dead for a long time. But it heats very well, just as good as locust, which makes up most of the rest of my pile. I wouldn't burn it in an open fire place.

What do you mean by "it will practically explode as it burns". I am seasoning about a 1/2 chord of Mulberry for next year.

I mean that it pops and cracks a lot as it burns. I gave some to my dad, he has an old farm house with a big hearth style fireplace, well the Mullberry would burn explode and throw out baseball size chunks of burning wood at him on the couch. Like I said I burn a lot of the stuff, in a wood stove I haven't had any problems. you can hear it popping in there, when you stir the coals a little or blow on it it will crackle. If I leave the door cracked, and it pops real bad little flying sparks come out of the door, they aren't like regular sparkler sparks, they fly a little more. I wouldn' t worry about your 1.5 cords I like burning it like I said it heats really well, and it looks nice on the pile, almost purple then if you re-split it looks purple and yellow, and smells good.
I hope that explains it

Mullyberry is a good wood ,its right up there with red oak for btu's .Yep its a popper thou !

Wow, I learn something great everyday I visit this forum. I have a great deal of Mullberry growing around the property. It is like a nasty invasive weed that shows up with sweetgum and red cedar, but mainly in areas where I don't want trees to grow (in existing hedgerows, in the landscape, in fallow areas of the farm and within windbreaks). It is a tree that I have cut down and disposed of in the past, but will now target to cut/split/stack. Thanks for the information.

Now.... can I burn purple poke berry, russian olive, wild rose?? If so, I will never have to run my oil boiler again!!!!

Brian
Cedrus deodara

Napoleon 1402
Stihl MS 361
Spee Co 22 ton splitter

BTUs comin out of the Mullberry bush, the Mullberry bush, the Mullberry bush,

BTUs comin out of the Mullberry bush, so early in the morning.......

Sorry, had to do it.

I have burned a little , it's considered a weed bush in my yard but I do have a few still living. I would not burn it in a open fireplace unless keeping the doors closed as someone said it will shoot big chips and sparks out but it looks wild and makes a fair amout of noise too.

Status
Not open for further replies.