multi fuel stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hedgehog

Oct 16, 2012
my local dealer says that the multi fuel option is over rated and old fashioned thinking. He claims there are so many pellet producers there will never be another shortage or unreasonable price hike. also claims that the multi fuel stoves waste some of the pellets btu's by dumping unburned fuel into the ash bucket.

To me the often larger pellet hopper/ash bin and extended cleaning schedual makes sence. And if pellets are hard to find/afford other fuels arnt off of the table

Opinions?

I like mine because I know it'll burn anything, even the cheap pellets. I have not used anything but the premium pellets setting though. Also some pellets do end up in the bin, but I take them out with a spaghetti strainer. I be I couldn't fill a gallon jug with the solids I removed from the ash bin last year. So it isn't that big of a deal.

Multi-fuelers cost more, but knowing you can burn anything in my mind makes it worth it.

From everything I have read on this site, i would think that dumping fuel unburned would be more a function of the feed rate rather than the fuel burned. My Harman is able to burn a 50/50 mix of pellets and corn and states right in the manual that feed rate must be adjusted because of the difference in the moisture content. Some stoves have different burn pots to burn different fuel types. I would think the ability to burn other fuels would be a bonus depending on where you live! In corn country, the abundance there probably means more folks burn corn than wood pellets.

But this is just my 2 cents.

I like the option but Im in corn country. Pellet waste not a problem as I change to pellet tray-pot and different exaust fan plate. My stove came with an additional hopper extension. I don't see problems with my stove burning either but is usually more $$ In the beginning. Who knows maybe in your area you might get cherry pits cheap or ?

im in Ontario Canada , and i think the cheapest fuel is wood pellets. but will it last? is there something cheaper?

And what brands & models of multi-fuel stoves does that local dealer sell?

Utility or standard grade wood pellets should also be available there as for prices I can't say but they usually are cheaper and something that most pellet only units really can't handle well if at all,

Hello

Here are some pics and a video or the nice multi-fuel stove I had to play with.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...lti-fuel-burning-100-corn.91043/#post-1191411

If you have access to a cheaper fuel other than wood pellets it may be worthwhile. Depends upon where you live. The starch in the corn is messy and you must be careful to stop rodents from getting into it. I am back to just wood pellets which is fine for me since other fuels in NE here are way too expensive!

Your dealer knows that the economics of burning other fuels in your area don't equate to any savings as other fuels such as corn etc are not cheap there. The only advantage probably to go multi is like my Harmans can eat most anything without much fuss other than emptying the ash pan more with less than premium pellets.

Hmmmmmmmmm
I have been burning hazelnut shells in my two Whitfields for the past 3 seasons, and Earth stoves starting in 1992
The only stove we burn pellets in is the Quad.

Some local folks use the shells in Harman stoves.

The idea that pellets are the only option/choice is a stretch IMHO
Pellets are clean, simple and convenient, but some of us like heating a good sized shack for pennies a day.

Cost us about 50 cents a day to heat 2300 sq ft home.

Can't beat that price.

Several pellet stoves run fine on other materials, just takes a little tweeking is all.

My large whit needed a "filler plate with small air holes" added to the burn pot to keep the shells from falling through the Grate.
Also had to add a little "scatter bar" to cause the shell pieces to more evenly spread over the fire. This was a little piece of metal bolted across the fire pot, right in line with the drop tube. The shells slide down the tube, hit the bar and scatter across the fire, instead of piling up in a mound.

The little Whit just needed the scatter bar as the burn tray had small air holes

The feed rate trim needed to be tweeked a tad, but all else works fine.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.