Multi Fuel - Wood Gasifier w/ natural gas backup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newguy08

Dec 5, 2008
Southern Tier NY
Looking to see if anyone makes a wood gasifier boiler with a natural gas backup? I guess you would call it a multi fuel boiler, all-in-one unit.

Woodgun and Tarm both make multifuel units for wood and oil, and my understanding is that it isn't a big deal to switch an oil burner gun for a gas burner, so I think you can go either way with those units...

That said, it seems the general feeling here is that unless there is something in your situation requirements that requires a combo unit, it is generally better for several reasons, and often cheaper to do separate wood and fossil burners, putting the wood burner on the chimney, and power-venting the fossil unit out the wall (something that is even easier to do w/ gas than it is w/ oil...) This has been discussed a lot in several recent threads, so I won't go into it again here.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.