Multi-speed switch for furnace blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
I have a woodfurnace that has a 1/3hp 4 speed direct drive blower. Off the blower in the access panel in the rear is a distribution block that allows for me to change speeds on it with a wire. I'm looking for a switch that I could wire into that block that allows me to set the speed without having to remove the access panel. I'm looking for something thats inexpensive that will work. In the fall and spring I want to set the blower on low, but in the dead of winter I want high speed to match the higher output of the furnace. Thanks.

So that I have this correct, you want a 2 speed switch - low and high, is that correct. We'll need to see the wiring diagram for the motor to figure out the switch config. but it sounds like a DPDT switch might work.

The furnace didn't come with a switch so the terminal block on the blower was set with a single wire for speed. What I don't understand is the low function on the limit/control. Every limit control I have ever seen on a woodfurnace was a simple high and line. Anyhow I just want to wire a switch into the terminal block so I can choose the blower speeds based on btu output. Using low on the limit control isn't important for I can wire it in the switch, but would be nice to know how it functions. If it would function like variable speed then I would wire it up. Otherwise I won't worry about it. Page 18 has the wiring diagram.

http://www.sunburst-sales.com/PDFs/EPACaddy.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.