Multifuel stove chimney problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa

Feb 13, 2014
Ireland
We have a multi fuel stove recently installed. There is a flue liner in the chimney and vermiculite insulation. It is an old house recently renovated. The old chimney remains to first floor level and was built up from there, the house is dormer. When the stove was lighting yesterday for a few hours, I thought I could smell smoke and when I went upstairs the room immediately above stove was full of smoke. Any help in solving this would be greatly appreciated.

We have a multi fuel stove recently installed. There is a flue liner in the chimney and vermiculite insulation. It is an old house recently renovated. The old chimney remains to first floor level and was built up from there, the house is dormer. When the stove was lighting yesterday for a few hours, I thought I could smell smoke and when I went upstairs the room immediately above stove was full of smoke. Any help in solving this would be greatly appreciated.
Obviously you need to take a close look at your chimney. Sounds like it leaks and maybe you have a nest in the top part stopping the smoke and exhaust.
Next time you start your stove use a flashlight and shine it around the outside of the chimney until you find where the smoke is coming from.
Can you remove the pipe going into the chimney and using a mirror and flashlight look up the inside of the chimney for obstructions.

When you said flue liner, did you mean one of those flexible pellet stove vent kits? And that the insolation was filled around it?

There is flexi flue (904) (it cost €504 for 9meters) and vermiculite insulation. So there is the chimney liner, the flexi flue and vermiculite.

There is flexi flue (904) (it cost €504 for 9meters) and vermiculite insulation. So there is the chimney liner, the flexi flue and vermiculite.

Something Is not right, either it has a blockage somewhere, or it has disconnected somewhere, or the vent is defective with a break in it. You are going to have to pull it apart to find out where the problem is.

Are you sure the smoke didn't come from the stove itself and end up in that upstairs room ? Also, I assume your chimney with liner clears your roof line, it doesn't dump out near a window by chance ? It seems really odd with a stainless flue liner that you would have a leak significant enough to weep through the liner, then the chimney and the wall to fill the room. Are you sure that it was wood pellet smoke ? Was this the first firing of the stove or has it been run before without incident ?

Here is a good one for you, for years and years my neighbors stove stinks up my house. I can't see smoke but I can smell it when he loads up his wood insert and stuffs it all up . With a NW wind it comes our way, we are in direct line with his house and sit above his so his chimney lines up pretty well. Not saying that's your situation and certainly check out your situation. Just trying to check off if it's really a chimney leak.

Another thing, you have run our equivalent of 30 ft of vent, I hope it is sized correctly ? That long a run would require 4 " vent pipe ( I'll let you do the math).

Last edited:
Does the flue liner run to the top of your chimney or just short piece into chimney just past the damper plate? If it was recently installed, you should get the installer back there. Hope you have a CO detector in that room above the stove... stay safe.

Where in Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies.