Multiple Thimble Sizes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natemth

Mar 9, 2012
Central, VT
Afternoon all.

Newly purchased house has 8in heavy wall flex liner. Uninsulated. Stack height from basement thimble is about 25ft. Previous owner was running a VC Vigilant in the basement through an 8 in thimble. I have a 3100 Quadrafire with intentions of running it on the main floor which only has a 6in thimble and is not now connected to the liner.

Has anyone every seen a 6in tee to attach to an 8in liner?

Wondering if that is possible before I think about either opening up the thimble to 8in to accommodate an 8in tee and connecting to both thimbles or dropping the liner size to 6in and negating the option to use anything in the basement.

Two stoves can not be connected to the same flue. However, are you sure that the 6" thimble is in the same flue? How large is this chimney's ID? Could it hold a 5 and a 6" liner?

Agreed 2 stoves on same flue doesn't work well, I've seen this first hand. But to use whats there. Pull liner cut for new tee and reinstall. Absolutely same flue, pull the plug on the main floor thimble and there's the liner. Chimney is 8x13 so 5 and 6 could be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.