multiple user camp stove suggstions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
I need to replace my 89 consolidated dutchwest 267 at my family camp and could use some input.

I'd like to find a stove that, unlike the 267, is simple and very user friendly. I think my castine and jotuls in general meet this criteria, but my concern is that the camp is shared by several users and although a couple of us have heated with wood stoves for years, some of our other family members aren't as familiar with operating a stove and I wonder if a cast iron stove is the right type for this situation.

No one involved is irresponsible or devoid of any knowledge of using a stove, but I'm wondering if there are wood stove types that are a little more "bullet-proof"and therefore more appropriate for camp and multiple person use.
I know the cast iron vs. steel debate rages on and I'm completely unfamiliar with steel. I suspect that cast iron stoves can be a bit more delicate in regards to over-firing.

Why not go with an Englander . . . a good, relatively inexpensive and simple steel stove that has a near bullet proof reputation here. If this is for a camp you don't necessarily need a high end soapstone or enameled cast iron stove . . . sounds like you're just looking for a good, reliable stove to keep the place warm.

one of them 55 gallon converted burn barrel stoves might be a good choice.

+1 on the Englander like firefighterjake said. It was the first thing I thought of when you started to discrib your situation. I have never used one but what I have read, everone that has one loves them and the price can't be beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.