Mushy Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillM2

Dec 23, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley
I went to the nearby Home Depot to pick-up some pellets and they had several wet tons under an awning. The Old Dominions, which I went there for, were in the worse condition.

Attachments

• photo Pellets.jpg
    photo Pellets.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 339
You didn't buy them did you?

I had gone there specifically for Old Dominion so they took down a ton from an indoor rack and I picked-up 8 bags or so. I want to test them out in my stove and these bags were dry as far as I can tell.

The other brands stored outside didn't look so bad but I wasn't so interested in trying what was on hand.

That Nature's Energy bag looks alot like the Marth hardwoods we have here.

Those Old Dominion's may be Old stock. I dont know when they changed the bag. But they use a clear bag like a few other Manufacturers. This is the 1st year I have tried Old Dominion's. So no clue when they switched.

Last yr was the 1st time I ever seen any clear bags. No quite a few Pellet plants use them...

If there good, there good.... Just sayin if they get a new batch. They will look totally different.

Attachments

• newbags.jpg
    newbags.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 268
BillM2 said:
I had gone there specifically for Old Dominion so they took down a ton from an indoor rack and I picked-up 8 bags or so. I want to test them out in my stove ........

I test burned 3 bags back in November, and I like them a lot. May have to go back and grab a few more bags to try while the weather is cold.

I'm just clearing out the Lignetics in my hopper and have added the ODs which visually look fine. It's pretty warm tonight, not the ideal test condition, but I'll give them a try.

It was the HD in Newburgh. The pellets are indoors but check each bag since a couple of those felt lumpy.

After only one bag burned in a clean stove, they burn OK, not super hot, but a bit above average. But again, the temps are in the 40s for a few days and its not till things get below 30 that matter to my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.