Must get trailer....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhaul is your friend. Beat the snot out of their double axle trailer with brakes and sweep it clean after you are done. Say thank you to the nice Uhaul man and tell him you will be back next year. $40 per day here. Not having to register another trailer (got one for the boat) or deal with a bad ground on a brake light twice a year is priceless.

Matt

:lol: I haven't figured out a way to get around the hitch yet.... Maybe borrow a truck because yours doesn't have a hitch. :lol:

Matt

However, go get that wood Kathleen!

Your in the Blue Ridge Mnts.
Go borrow a truck, almost everyone there has one. Good neighbors in your area?
Got to have a relative with a truck
or neighbor that owes you a favor.
Like BWS says, go get that wood
Good luck

Sounds like a great deal. I had a guy load my truck with Oak and Beech logs a few years ago. Sure was nice to let a machine do the lifting for a change.

Wish we lived closer Kat, we have a trailer and a huge diesel pickup, and many strong friends that could help ya out, we would be there in a sec.......Hope ya get that wood!!!!

I told my wife about that one as I am really itching to split or cut some wood. Here is one that might be more suitable to you:

http://asheville.craigslist.org/zip/2248312095.html

Originally they had wanted someone to cut and split some wood for them as well. I guess they did not get to many responses? It's on my way to church and I thought about dragging my trailer to church tomorrow to get some wood on the way back. We have had that rain and I don't want to drive across my lawn to get the trailer (it's on a hill and will tear up the lawn).

Don't forget a brake controller. It's scary enough dragging a trailer full of firewood through these mountains even with trailer brakes :) I bought my hitch from etrailer.com. Most trucks today You just bolt them up. Uhaul is a big hitch installer. Locally Jim Campen has a great name though I did not buy my trailer from him.

Good luck finding a good used trailer. People just don't seem to sell them.

Thanks Mark. I missed that listing. I'll give a call tomorrow. It's close enough to be worthwhile. Thanks for the trailer/hitch info also. It's on the list and I'd like to make it happen sooner than later. At least the hitch.

I did pick up some of that pine in Bat Cave today. I was headed that way anyway. I do get a little nervous these days responding to CL ads. I'm generally not overly cautious but I had one situation that was freaky. It's why I don't scrounge as much as I could. I don't worry so much for myself but I have my kid along. This one was MORE than okay though.

I've not actually scrounged yet. I have got everything by word of mouth so far. I guess that would be a topic for another post, the CL ad freaky/scary scores. There is so much free wood around here! I'm actually hunting for some softwood right now for this time of year and kindling etc.

I' don't know the size of truck you have? But if you can get a truck load for the price of gas locally, I think you will come out ahead, especially if you put some sides on it.

That was going to be my question. What kind of truck is it, K? My truck has an integrated tow unit, no box needed, but yer gonna need brakes for sure.

That will determine your hitch, load capacity, safety in stopping ( a personal peeve of mine >:-( ), etc. Get ready for some lessons on hitch capacity, max gross towing capacity, etc, there girl friend :)

If I were closer I'd hook up & give you a hand, but it is, yet again, a wee bit far.

The CL posting has been deleted by the author. Probably got too many queries, likely from some of the wood hungry folk who haunt this forum. Maybe you should keep your CL finds to yourself, Kathleen, if you want any chance at the wood. :lol:

Guy had some nice rounds of maple he would load into a trailer only.

Truck is a dodge dakota. Four door, so less bed space.
Candy apple red. J/k!!!!

I truly do not want to tow a trailer. But the useful qualities of a trailer are hard to ignore. I have towed horse trailers before. Not my own trailer. Not my own truck. Not my own horses. I don't like to do it.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Guy had some nice rounds of maple he would load into a trailer only.

Truck is a dodge dakota. Four door, so less bed space.
Candy apple red. J/k!!!!

I truly do not want to tow a trailer. But the useful qualities of a trailer are hard to ignore. I have towed horse trailers before. Not my own trailer. Not my own truck. Not my own horses. I don't like to do it.

Then don't. It's not for the squeamish ;-)

BUT, a small trailer, bumper pull, would increase your capacity greatly, and get your feet wet, on a small level.

Some thing to think about.

A Dakota is a good truck. I ran a 92 for over a decade and it never let me down. Watch the temp gauge though. If you have the V8 it's a large engine in a small compartment. Last time I towed a trailer in TN I got to see the temp go up while going up the hill and cool down on the way down. It was a fun trip in the 30 something degree rain.

Matt

That's why I love my tranny cooler. It's awesome :)

WhitePine said:
The CL posting has been deleted by the author. Probably got too many queries, likely from some of the wood hungry folk who haunt this forum. Maybe you should keep your CL finds to yourself, Kathleen, if you want any chance at the wood. :lol:

It was probably deleted because he said he would only load the rounds in a 3 or 4 hour window today. It was one or two trailer loads so I imagine someone took him up on it.

MarkinNC said:
WhitePine said:

It was probably deleted because he said he would only load the rounds in a 3 or 4 hour window today. It was one or two trailer loads so I imagine someone took him up on it.

Yeah, that's what I figured it was. The rest was just having a bit of fun. ;-)

WhitePine said:
MarkinNC said:
WhitePine said:

Yeah, that's what I figured it was. The rest was just having a bit of fun. ;-)

Sorry, I had guessed that you were unable to read the ad:)

Sounds like a hitch in the truck could be helpful for days like this, then you'd only need to borrow the trailer or rent one. I find trailers are much easier to load than the bed of a pickup. Good luck with your wood quest, do you have any access to free or cheap wood on public land (state, fed, etc.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.