Must have stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Moisture meter - totally unnecessary for telling when your wood is ready, but an absolute essential on Hearth.com for settling arguments as to whether or not your wood is dry enough.

2. IR thermometer - totally unnecessary for telling if your stove is at the right temp, but fun for making your cat jump up the wall to get at the red dot.

3. Chainsaw in the 70cc class - totally unnecessary for felling the smaller trees you will likely encounter when a 50cc saw will do the trick, but you cannot hold your head up here without a saw of at least 60cc. Unless it is a "pro" saw, which will allow you to get by with 10 less cc... just because.

4. 27 ton splitter that can split vertically - totally unnecessary because only old coots and cranks split vertically, but you have to have one with the capability to split vertically so you can show that you do have a choice but refuse to swing that way.

5. Magi Heat heat reclaimer - totally unnecessary but... hell, it's just totally unnecessary. Strike that one.

5. HD video camera - totally unnecssary for wood burning, but you will need to be able to put up clips of your amazing secondaries on YouTube... which, like kids, are only more beautiful than everybody else's just because they're yours.

I'd love to find a self propelled, track driven wheelbarrow. No more shoveling a trench to the stacks. That and Katherine Heigl to operate it. As long as I'm dreaming.....

If I could pull that one off I would'nt be here - I'd be with her!

Poker and shovel.
Covered metal ash can.
Thermometers for the flue and stove.
Gloves for the stove.
Chainsaw.
Hydraulic wood splitter.
ATV.
Trailer for the ATV.

Battenkiller has been my role model since I joined the forum. :) In keeping with his advice and example:

1. A Canon 7D HD camera, plus a timer for taking time lapse photos to let you know what was going on after you went to bed and a tripod for same. It also does HD movies for when you want a big fire on the wide screen TV.

2. A Kintrex IR thermometer, so you don't have to get up and walk over there to see what the temperature of the stove is.

3. A CO monitor.

4. A fire extinguisher.

5. A metal ash bucket with an air tight top. (A plain old galvanized metal can with a lid looks like hell, but it works very well for this).

6. A square nosed metal shovel.

7. A Ridgid shop vac with a dry wall filter.

8. A Milwaukee 2311-20 inspection camera so that you can see places without actually going there. (do you know how much ash is laying there on top of your baffle and piling up in that connector pipe? I do).

9. Barbecue Mitts, warmer that welder's gloves, and useable as mittens when you are out getting the wood.

10. A couple of 35 gallon polyethylene bins for bringing in wood.

11. +2 on a propane torch.

12. A soft bristled brush for dislodging soot from the secondary burn tubes and other places.

13. Big tarps for covering wood.

14. Dust cover and storage shed for my Chain Saw, which is never used.

15. Chimney cleaning rods and brushes with an 18 volt drill motor to spin them. 12 foot ladder to get to the top of the chimney.

16. Chair to sit in so I do not get neck strain watching my much younger wife operating the chimney cleaning equipment.

I want an ATV and a wood splitter too, but my wife says that as long as I am paying the local garden supply for seasoned cord wood, stacked in place, that I can't have either one.

if your stove is on a different floor from where you spend most of your time get a smoker thermometer with a remote sensor so you don't have to get up from the game to check temp, it's a great stair avoidance measure.

1.) Chainsaw and related accessories
2.) Big Bad Splitter (Triceps count for all you purists....)
3.) Pickup to get it all home. (It's all for nothing otherwise!)
4.) A wife that loves being able to hang out in her nighties in January.... (yessir!)
5.) A golf course that still has a ton of trees that need to come down.

Too bad nobody can hear me whistling with the saw at full throttle.....

One thing I have not seen listed but I consider a must is a canvas wood carrier. It keeps the loose bark in it and makes it easy to carry. I am planning on buying a second one this year to carry two loads at a time.

A Russian bride to cut, split, stack the wood and feed the fire.
A good neverending supply of Heineken.
Maybe a doobie once in a while, and a nice soft comforter to reward said Russian bride on after she is finished taking care of the fire.
Hey a guy can dream can't he?

A MUST ADDITION to the list.:
A computer,
preferably a high speed connection (so you can watch Quads cut wood) & so you can keep learning how/why etc on Hearth.com.

Backwoods Savage said:
1. Chain saw (size of saw depends upon what size trees you will cut. (Also a way to sharpen saw.)
2. Skill to know how to fell and cut up a tree.
3. Knowledge of type of wood available in your area.
4. Cant hook
5. Axe
6. Trailer or truck for hauling wood.
7. Hydraulic splitter or splitting maul and knowledge on how to use them.
8. Wood stacking skills. Very easily learned.
9. Something for covering tops of wood pile or wood shed.
10. Good wood burning stove, hearth and chimney, properly installed.
11. Spend enough time with the stove to know best way to operate it.
12. Make sure at least one other person in house knows how to operate the stove .
13. Heavy leather gloves for loading stove.
14. Stove poker.
15. Ash bucket and skills to know how to handle ashes without making a mess.
16. Enough common sense to know where to store that bucket when it gets hot ashes or coals in it.
17. Enough sense to have 2-3 years wood put up ahead of time.

In addition, some kindling is nice but not totally necessary. Super Cedars are a big help to most. One also needs chimney cleaning tools or know a good sweep to hire. A wire brush helps for summer cleanup of the stove. Also, knowledge on how to replace gaskets. Of course there can be other things added to the list too but this should give a good start on the necessary things.

Oh yes, for heart.com, it appears one must also own a digital camera.

Just printed out Dennis' list :)

Hogwildz said:
Maybe a doobie once in a while, and a nice soft comforter to reward said Russian bride on after she is finished taking care of the fire.

Sounds reasonable to me!

Ray

Removed post . . . commenting on a new member's blatant advertising.

Personally, I would'nt go for gadget. I'd love it if someone could dump 2 free cord of well seasoned split hardwood in my driveway and stack it properly on the side of the house. Now that is a gift!

Otherwise, these other items might also be worth looking at:

Attachments

• #3.png
    #3.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 251
  • #4.png
    #4.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 258
  • #5.png
    #5.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 294
  • #6.png
    #6.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 262
Hogwildz said:

Pure Genius

460 and good chain grinder........Thats it! :cheese:

MasterMech said:
1.) Chainsaw and related accessories
2.) Big Bad Splitter (Triceps count for all you purists....)
3.) Pickup to get it all home. (It's all for nothing otherwise!)
4.) A wife that loves being able to hang out in her nighties in January.... (yessir!)
5.) A golf course that still has a ton of trees that need to come down.

Too bad nobody can hear me whistling with the saw at full throttle.....

And I thought I was the only one with a golf course of wood to harvest

Welders gloves

Metal garbage can for ashes and a small one to carry ashes from stove to it. works very well for me...

WES999 said:
Propane torch. Beats matches any day.
I have: BERNZOMATIC SELF IGNITING INTENSE HEAT TORCH TS8000 .

Heidi says "hell yeah!" She loves her HF push-button ignitor propane torch. Living in the mountains, we like Ponderosa pine cones for starters. No more newspaper and kindling, no store-bought starter blocks, 2 or 3 cones, some small cedar splits, apply torch and we have fire. For our outdoor chiminea, she likes the big, pitchy sugar pine cones.

p.s. Forgot to mention the large plastic sled for hauling wood when the snow gets deep. I hate shoveling snow. Leave it were it is, pack it down, it will melt eventually.

I will also vouch for the propane torch. I picked up the standard cheapo torch to do some plumbing this summer, and after that was done it worked great for starting stacks of somewhat green hemlock strips in the chiminea. I bet it also works great for getting a draft going, or reversing a downdraft in a cold stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.