Must...Not...Give...In

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I'm sitting here at my desk and there is the sound of a chainsaw and chipper in the distance.

Must stay focused on work. Must stay focused... Must stay...

Just came in to do some work - the cool of the house and hearth.com was tempting me away from stacking wood....

I had a couple of conference calls this morning so I was out stacking wood with my cordless phone and headset. They finally asked what was taking me so long to answer their questions. Didn't really want to tell them that there is a time lag for taking off a glove, fishing the phone out of my pocket and taking myself off mute!

Talking about cool of the house, it's 91 degrees actual temp with a feel like of 99 outside. I'm through for the day, the rest of that Ash will be there in the morning about 5:30-6:00.

I myself heard saws too. Then the slow cracking noise. Someone dropped a good size tree. Aww well. Get back to the computer.

Nothing wrong with taking a quick 10-15 minute wood break, just for kicks. Hey, smokers get to do it (not that I have anything against smokers).

That 15 minute break would turn into a scrounging opp at least half the time. Then, what do you do?

Funny how I can't hear my own wife talking to me, but I can hear a 42cc saw from a mile away! ;-) Turning the corner in my sub, I see an old pickup truck, Stihl saw on the ground, rope hanging from tree and three guys standing around looking up. Well, of course I stop...it's only half a block from my house and I know the people that live at the house these guys are working at...and say "hey, what's being cut down?" They say just trimming up some large stuff and of course I can have the wood! :lol: The kicker is that I had agreed with the wife to not bring anything more home until the yard was all cleaned up :down:
This is where I am sure any good scrounger who has ever been the same position envokes the "but I have to take the wood...it's right here and they are our neighbors" rule! :lol: Ended up getting a truck full of just some 4" - 6" limbs; nothing much to brag about but heck, it'll be good small fire stuff for next season and at the same time made another friend in the tree business who told me they are just dying to find someone to take ash, oak, cherry they normally get from the larger jobs! Have no idea what I'll do if they do come through, so far three others never did, but if they do then that's a good problem to have from the way I see it. :)

Hi, my name is Larry, and I'm a firewood-aholic. (I hear you all say, "Hi Larry".)
I'm learning to face my disease, instead of hiding from it.
This is something I've inherited from my father and grandfather. It's in my genes.
Oak, elm, maple, birch, beech - I've tried them all. Once, in a low moral state, I even tried alder. That was a bad time for me.
But I'm taking control. Managing my addiction. I've gotten help.
Today, I'm happy to say that I only have 2.5 years of wood ahead.
I'm installing a more efficient gasser, so I won't have to deal with those 4 AM cravings to feed the boiler.
My father, 71, is making improvements with me. We stopped renting splitters - it was making us lazy.
We use mauls and wedges now - to slow us down and de-tox ourselves.
I'm Larry, and I'm a firewood-aholic.

Thank you, Larry.

Archie said:
Better to just resist.

Or just succumb to the primal urge:) I must confess I split the last of my winters scrounge this morning instead of going to the office.

It's a chimney clogging pine tree.

Now get back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.