Must purchase new free standing wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cleveland

Jan 8, 2014
georgia
2 years ago, I posted on here about our Vermont Casting Stove "Wood Burning Stove Problems".
"Purchased in 2008 a 2478 Dutch West Non-Catalytic "medium" wood burning stove." We took a chance and used it, which I can say I didn't sleep much at night, and now I'm able to purchase a new wood burning stove. I've read many posts on this site and others and I still can't decide which one to get. I guess you can say I'm scared of getting a "lemon". We have a 2500 sq ' home. We use wood as our main source of heat. We would like long burns, durability, and most of all Safety. I have looked a BK, Eiffel, Drolet and Sedore, as well as many others. We don't want Chinese made, nor crappy customer service. Where we are located, a show room isn't available. We just get to see catalogs. I'm a looker, toucher, watch it work, kinda woman. Which that being said, I'm the one that's the... fix it, make it work, solve the problem...person . Durability - my husband broke the soapstone in our new heater within 2 months of use and overstuff heater, so that we would have coals at 4:00 am. (That's when I get up and start my day).

We have 6" chimney flue, double wall pipe and it's straight up 24 to 26 feet high. I will include picture of our old heater, and measurements of opening. I would like some advise. As well as reviews and opinions. Between Fossil, Hobbes105, Woody Stover and Begreen... Y'all helped me make a decision not replacing parts on the old heater. Thanks.

Measurements. : opening is 75" left to right X 30" deep. Height of opening you see is 72" but it is really total 96". Will attach pic of that also. Granite 4" thick hearth. The opening that you see has a metal top that's painted and inside walls and top is 5/8" fire rock.
[ image.jpeg image.jpeg ATTACH]178467[/ATTACH]

Last edited:
Beautiful hearth. A BK Ashford 30.1 or an Enviro Boston 1700 would look great there.

My vote is for ashford.

I would do the ashord or look at a Woodstock stove, I run a BK princess and could back up all the claims of long burns and great heat, Woodstock seems to be the equal to (east coast) to the BK (west coast)

Big Woodstock stoves are not alcove approved.

I throw a vote for the Sedore - maybe a white one with that awesome hearth you got. The Sedore is my only heat source and it is a beast. The biggest pluses are the top loading design(easy lt load/accommodates big pieces), long burn times (15 - 28hr depending on fuel type), you can burn less than seasoned wood with no problems (you actually get better burn times out of the higher moisture stuff), you can sweep the pipe from inside the ash door, and it burns clean (no smoke) once the down draft is engaged and the stove hits cruising temps. It is easy to start and once you get a nice ash built up - you can easily re-light off the coals for 12-24 hours after the wood has burned up. Another great thing about it over CAT type stoves is it puts out nice heat when all that is left is coals. The two chamber design squeezes very BTU out into your living space while maintaining a super clean burn.

"We would like long burns, durability, and most of all Safety." You just described my BK Princess....some would say she isn't exactly pretty...I would strongly disagree...lol...having said that I think the Ashford would be perfect for you and Husband proof....lol

Last edited by a moderator: