Musty, swollen pellets, can I use these

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydney1963

Oct 4, 2008
Windham Maine
Hi, no big deal but I opened a bag of pellets and noticed that some of them were slightly swollen and musty smelling. I also noticed a small hole in the bag. Apparently they got a tad wet. Should I burn these or toss em? Thanks for your help.

sydney1963 said:
Hi, no big deal but I opened a bag of pellets and noticed that some of them were slightly swollen and musty smelling. I also noticed a small hole in the bag. Apparently they got a tad wet. Should I burn these or toss em? Thanks for your help.

i wouldn't

I wouldn't run them through my stove.

Friend dropped a bag that split and spilled
all over my garage floor. I swept them up
and now use them to absorb spills in the
driveway such as gas, oil, etc.

I'd send them to the Treasury Dept. and ask for your money back- They're like Santa, they want to make everyone happy.

IMO I would use em for mulch. Wouldn't bother taking a chance
of clogging up the stove.

I concur with everybody else here...toss'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.