Muzzleloader Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jharkin said:
Interesting. hunting with round ball must be a a real challange. How close do you have to be to guarantee a hit?

I dont know, but a round ball out of a 32cal 1858 Remington reproduction cap and ball revolver yields 2-4" grouping at 30 yards. 6.5 inch rifled barrel. So you can imagine how much more accurate a long gun is.

Here in the Old Dominion, we've got two weeks of early muzzleloading (increased from one in the last couple of years in the counties 'west of the Blue Ridge'), started on October 30, last day was Friday, November 12. One doe day in that time in the county I hunt (Highland). The late muzzleloading season comes back in a week from tomorrow and lasts until January 1. I've not hunted the late season in a couple of years, I'm usually cutting wood. I resisted the inlines for a long time, gave in about five years ago. I have a Knight Disc Extreme, 45 caliber.

Well, Loon that is more them some guys will get hunting. You sure the stock isn't to short? Did you need any stitches?

CALJREICH said:
Well, Loon that is more them some guys will get hunting. You sure the stock isn't to short? Did you need any stitches?

just got home lastnite and i didnt see anything..
one guy had a big racked 250pounder come out to him but couldnt get a good shot, so it walked %-P

and no caljreich i didnt bother going in.plus he has the same gun as mine just different colour but his scope is all the way back which he will be fixing.

we had a good time for sure but the weather at the beginning was brutal,
here are a few pics of what i just about drove into wednesday afternoon :shut:

DSC08821.jpg

didnt realize there was nothing under my footprints and ran back over to back the truck up :cheese:

DSC08803.jpg

DSC08808.jpg

DSC08815.jpg

the timing thing was just a fluke for sure, but sure glad me and the ford didnt go for a swim %-P :cheese:

this guy lost the coin flip to see if our little bridge would work :sick: :cheese: it did ;-P

DSC08824.jpg

this is behind one of my watches :)

DSC08837.jpg

loon

Beautiful scenery up there, reminds me of back home in the 'dacks. Yeah that would have messed up your day if the 150 went over that bank! However that is about the same profile as the drainage waterway that goes through the woods I hunt, the one I had to drag my deer through. Same steep banks, depth and width, and mine was all mud no rocks. It wasnt fun. Wish I had one of those machines!

EJW1 said:
I would frame that last picture!

+1

And even though its overcast and gloomy the pic still came out great. I like how there is just a small opening in the clouds letting light cast on the trees kinda in the center of the photo.

loon said:
did you drag that big boy home by yourself burner? %-P
loon

I had to drag him out of the woods myself. They dont like trucks across the field but if you are going after a deer its ok. I would guess where he fell was about 100 yards from the edge of the woods, and I wanted some good photos so I drug him before field dressing, so well over 200 lbs. Even after dressing he was still heavier than me! I started out being able to do 5-10 foot at a time before I had to rest. By half way there I was only able to just pull him in, take a step, pull him again, and even then I still had to take breaks my heart was pounding. I usually carry one of those metal garden cart thingies with the mesh base, but it was in my other truck. I was just real lucky I had thrown the ramps in my truck, and also found a dip in the field to back into to get the back end down a bit.

I probably could have had help, I had 3-4 of my buddies hunting the next farm, about 5 miles away, but I had no cell reception and I wasn't going to leave him there. Too many people hunt our farms, a lot without permission. About the time I was walking into the woods two trucks and about 6 guys parked and started walking in behind me. They were probably hitting the woodline when I pulled the trigger. When I was dragging him out I saw some orange I thought was heading my way about 75 yards in but never showed. After I brought my truck over they all walked out, I probably pissed em off by driving across the field while they were hunting but I get to the point I dont care. I dont even know if they had permission and I am getting sick of getting to the woods to find trucks all up and down the road and orange everywhere. I'm just glad I was in the right place at the right time, the buck was heading to where the other guys were entering the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.