MWP... Are they worth $219 per ton?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lousyweather said:
SparkyDog said:
fireitup said:
Maine Woods are selling for $219.00 a ton in my area, I just picked up LG's for $245.00 a ton. For $26.00 extra you are buying a way superior pellet then Maine Woods. Just my two cents.
But you should check out the price of traction sand...
These pellets work best on icy driveways.

x10!

Why not spend a bit more and buy a pellet which is KNOWN to be good, such as Okies? Doesnt make alot of sense to me to buy garbage for one price, where you can spend $80-$100 more for the season and buy something that IS top of the line. Just my 2 cents!

In my area, if you can find Okies, they are about $80/ ton more. Burning 5 ton, that's $400 a season. A lot for many of us that live around here. Also, some of us prefer to support local businesses, local jobs, our local economy. Besides, it's a long winter, not much else to do, and the ashes work good on icy driveways.

BTU said:
hossthehermit said:
Lousyweather said:
SparkyDog said:
fireitup said:
Maine Woods are selling for $219.00 a ton in my area, I just picked up LG's for $245.00 a ton. For $26.00 extra you are buying a way superior pellet then Maine Woods. Just my two cents.

x10!

Why not spend a bit more and buy a pellet which is KNOWN to be good, such as Okies? Doesnt make alot of sense to me to buy garbage for one price, where you can spend $80-$100 more for the season and buy something that IS top of the line. Just my 2 cents!

In my area, if you can find Okies, they are about $80/ ton more. Burning 5 ton, that's $400 a season. A lot for many of us that live around here. Also, some of us prefer to support local businesses, local jobs, our local economy. Besides, it's a long winter, not much else to do, and the ashes work good on icy driveways.

Last time I checked, buying anything from a local store was supporting local businesess, local jobs and your local economy. Just ask the store owner, clerks, truck drivers and gas stations that all support moving product to that store. I have to believe that $80 would be on the very high side someone might be selling our products for over one of the Maine brands...My reports are more like $25-40....but a lot of that is dependant on where in ME you are...the farther east you go, the more they will be....so that would be $125-200 per season and that is very doable for a lot of people for a vastly superior product...IMHO...but then again I am very bias..!! ;-)

Actually folks I've seen MWP being sold for exactly the same price as Oakies and Barefoot.

Whether or not the current MWP is the MWP being talked about or an older MWP would determine exactly what $219/ton represents in terms of value despite what all of the critics here think. BTW the same can be said for any pellet brand.

BTU said:
hossthehermit said:
Lousyweather said:
SparkyDog said:
fireitup said:

x10!

Last time I checked, buying anything from a local store was supporting local businesess, local jobs and your local economy. Just ask the store owner, clerks, truck drivers and gas stations that all support moving product to that store. I have to believe that $80 would be on the very high side someone might be selling our products for over one of the Maine brands...My reports are more like $25-40....but a lot of that is dependant on where in ME you are...the farther east you go, the more they will be....so that would be $125-200 per season and that is very doable for a lot of people for a vastly superior product...IMHO...but then again I am very bias..!! ;-)

BTU, you're right. If you buy your silk suits (made in China) from a local store, I guess you're supporting the local economy. Also, you must either shop in more stores around Maine than I do, to tell me what the price difference is, or you're calling me a liar. Bite me.

BTU said:
hossthehermit said:
BTU said:
hossthehermit said:
Lousyweather said:
SparkyDog" date="1279175541 said:
fireitup" date="1278177560 said:

x10!

BTU, you're right. If you buy your silk suits (made in China) from a local store, I guess you're supporting the local economy. Also, you must either shop in more stores around Maine than I do, to tell me what the price difference is, or you're calling me a liar. Bite me.

I'm not calling you a liar or a Chinese suit salesman....I just said that I didn't think that there were many dealers charging $80 per ton for Okies over the Maine pellets. Tell me where you live and I will prove it. Since I do this for a living, I do monitor the market daily for pricing and try as best as possible to see who/what/where is selling for. If my product had to sell for $80 over everybody else constantly, I wouldn't be in business long...it's that simple...

So......but before you get your panties in a knot... please do me the courtesy of telling me where you live, so I can find out exactly what the numbers are…OR tell me where you are pricing the Maine product at and let me see if there is a dealer within a reasonable distance that sells the Okies for considerably less than $80 over that… near by….. If you are right, I will be the first to apologize and then I will bite you.....is that fair? :ahhh:

I live in the Augusta area. I can get MWP delivered for $199 a ton, Okies in my area are $260 and up per ton, that I know of. I burn 7 tons a season in my 2 stoves. Got any deals for me?

BTU said:
BJN644 said:
BTU said:
hossthehermit said:
BTU said:
hossthehermit" date="1279229645 said:
Lousyweather" date="1279207895 said:

x10!

I'm not calling you a liar or a Chinese suit salesman....I just said that I didn't think that there were many dealers charging $80 per ton for Okies over the Maine pellets. Tell me where you live and I will prove it. Since I do this for a living, I do monitor the market daily for pricing and try as best as possible to see who/what/where is selling for. If my product had to sell for $80 over everybody else constantly, I wouldn't be in business long...it's that simple...

So......but before you get your panties in a knot... please do me the courtesy of telling me where you live, so I can find out exactly what the numbers are…OR tell me where you are pricing the Maine product at and let me see if there is a dealer within a reasonable distance that sells the Okies for considerably less than $80 over that… near by….. If you are right, I will be the first to apologize and then I will bite you.....is that fair? :ahhh:

I live in the Augusta area. I can get MWP delivered for $199 a ton, Okies in my area are $260 and up per ton, that I know of. I burn 7 tons a season in my 2 stoves. Got any deals for me?

Before I answer you....where are getting the MWP for $199 delivered?....and the reason I ask is that is seems you have a deal somewhere. I say that because I know what the mill is selling at and you are about 50 miles from the mill. Factor all that in and you would be buying for almost what it costs most dealers wholesale, as there is almost no margin in that price whatsoever for a dealer....so it would seem you have some sort of in....which is why I am asking the question....Where do you get them for $199 delivered?... I'm not saying you can't buy them for that price....but curious.....
The Wood Pellet warehouse in Jay. TSC has them for $204, no delivery. I can go to the mill in Athens too for about the same price, but Steve said he would deliver so unless somthing happens soon, he is the man!

Edit to add, I got the price off this web site just like anyone can, I don't have any special connections.

BTU said:
BJN644 said:
BTU said:
BJN644 said:
BTU said:
hossthehermit" date="1279245359 said:
BTU" date="1279238704 said:
[quote author="fireitup" date="1278177560"]Maine Woods are selling for $219.00 a ton in my area, I just picked up LG's for $245.00 a ton. For $26.00 extra you are buying a way superior pellet then Maine Woods. Just my two cents.

x10!

Before I answer you....where are getting the MWP for $199 delivered?....and the reason I ask is that is seems you have a deal somewhere. I say that because I know what the mill is selling at and you are about 50 miles from the mill. Factor all that in and you would be buying for almost what it costs most dealers wholesale, as there is almost no margin in that price whatsoever for a dealer....so it would seem you have some sort of in....which is why I am asking the question....Where do you get them for $199 delivered?... I'm not saying you can't buy them for that price....but curious.....
The Wood Pellet warehouse in Jay. TSC has them for $204, no delivery. I can go to the mill in Athens too for about the same price, but Steve said he would deliver so unless somthing happens soon, he is the man!

Edit to add, I got the price off this web site just like anyone can, I don't have any special connections.

I see on his website that MWP are $220 delivered.....Okies are $260 delivered.....or a $40 difference........he does say that they are $199 picked up, but doesn't give a price for the Okies picked up....If you want to pick up some Okies at the mill. they are $125 but the trip might be a tad far for most of you.. :) ... TSC sale ends on July 26, but you are correct you can buy them there for $204 without delivery....so when you compare apples to apples, as I stated earlier, the price will be closer to $40 more for the Okies over the MWP....not $80....don't like to split hairs, but if we are going to compare one pellet price against another, I want to use real numbers.[/quote]

I just gave you the real numbers, his price is $199 per ton delivered, I have an email confirmation. I didn't specifically ask if there was a delivery charge for Okies, but lets say they are delivered free too, that's still $60 a ton more and in my case $420 more for the season.

BTU said:
BJN644 said:
BTU said:
BJN644 said:
BTU said:
BJN644" date="1279248524 said:
BTU" date="1279247644 said:
hossthehermit" date="1279245359 said:
BTU" date="1279238704 said:
[quote author="Lousyweather" date="1279207895"][quote author="SparkyDog" date="1279175541"][quote author="fireitup" date="1278177560"]Maine Woods are selling for $219.00 a ton in my area, I just picked up LG's for $245.00 a ton. For $26.00 extra you are buying a way superior pellet then Maine Woods. Just my two cents.

x10!

I see on his website that MWP are $220 delivered.....Okies are $260 delivered.....or a $40 difference........he does say that they are $199 picked up, but doesn't give a price for the Okies picked up....If you want to pick up some Okies at the mill. they are $125 but the trip might be a tad far for most of you.. :) ... TSC sale ends on July 26, but you are correct you can buy them there for $204 without delivery....so when you compare apples to apples, as I stated earlier, the price will be closer to $40 more for the Okies over the MWP....not $80....don't like to split hairs, but if we are going to compare one pellet price against another, I want to use real numbers.[/quote]

I just gave you the real numbers, his price is $199 per ton delivered, I have an email confirmation. I didn't specifically ask if there was a delivery charge for Okies, but lets say they are delivered free too, that's still $60 a ton more and in my case $420 more for the season.[/quote]

That maybe...but his website says...$220...so if he charges $20 per ton to deliver, that would make the Okies $240 picked up so it would seem...still a $40 difference and not $80...but now we are splitting hairs here.....I'm not here to argue with you or anyone else for that matter.[/quote]

If you look closely it's the Corinth pellets that are $220. The reason I stuck my nose in this thread was because you said you would find a dealer considerably less than the $80 over a ton, $60 isn't considerably less in my book. Tell me who's in the area selling Okies for under $260 a ton.

“Are MWP worth the $219 price per ton”

Well my 2 cents

If you are looking for the cleanest burning pellet? Maybe not

If you are looking for the hottest pellets? Maybe not

If you are looking for a reasonabley priced pellet and can tollerate less heat and more ash? Maybe so.

I can't say for sure what there worth. All I know is they offer another choice for the pellet buyer. Choices are good! They are definetly NOT the worst pellet on the market and I am glad they upped there quality. Just like everthing else they have a place in the market. They may actually be a good deal. Midddle of the road pellet at a low end price. Nothing wrong with that!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :cheese:

jtakeman said:

Well my 2 cents

If you are looking for a reasonabley priced pellet and can tollerate less heat and more ash? Maybe so.

I can't say for sure what there worth. All I know is they offer another choice for the pellet buyer. Choices are good! They are definetly NOT the worst pellet on the market and I am glad they upped there quality. Just like everthing else they have a place in the market. They may actually be a good deal. Midddle of the road pellet at a low end price. Nothing wrong with that!

There is another component of this too which is often overlooked and that is what they hell are you burning them in? Now, in something like the Europa or say an Orkerfen boiler, you have a low temp pyrolysis accompanied by a second stage burn. This is the most efficient way to burn biomass and to a large extent, cheaper more commercial grade pellets work better. At least in the Orkefen, maybe franks could weigh in on the Europa. The second best burn would come from some type of multi-fuel with an agitated burn pot...to some extent the Quads with their cyclonic burn pot too.

If you are running an Englander PDVC 25 with Corinths or NEWP you are gonna have cleaning issues. I'd lump 25 other stoves into this too, including many Harmans but that is another thread.

smwilliamson said:
jtakeman said:

Well my 2 cents

There is another component of this too which is often overlooked and that is what they hell are you burning them in? Now, in something like the Europa or say an Orkerfen boiler, you have a low temp pyrolysis accompanied by a second stage burn. This is the most efficient way to burn biomass and to a large extent, cheaper more commercial grade pellets work better. At least in the Orkefen, maybe franks could weigh in on the Europa. The second best burn would come from some type of multi-fuel with an agitated burn pot...to some extent the Quads with their cyclonic burn pot too.

If you are running an Englander PDVC 25 with Corinths or NEWP you are gonna have cleaning issues. I'd lump 25 other stoves into this too, including many Harmans but that is another thread.

I agree, The stove has to be considered in the pellet selection. If its one of them "pretty" stoves(or picky) you need to choose them wisely. Or pay the labor price of extra cleaning time. Better to stay with the above average pellet here! When my Quad was the sole form of heat, I let it choose what to burn. I didn't mind spending a bit more as it would save me in the long run. And boy it loved those clean burning softwoods!

Now for the multifuelers, boilers and furnace owners(hoss is on of us). They burn even the worst pellets with little fuss. They are much less picky and tend to make the owner of them a little frugal(a nice word for cheap). I swear my Omega would burn dirt, Well almost. But the infernos were pretty close to dirt in a bag. :cheese: (I really think us multifuelers should start our own club)!

One day I hope to see pellets priced on actual grade(kind of like gasoline). But we are a long way from that. (PFI, where is that new grading system your supposed to be releasing???) Or maybe not, Then I might not be able to find the pellet deal of the year!

BTU said:
hossthehermit said:
BTU said:
hossthehermit said:
Lousyweather said:

x10!

I'm about 20 miles outside Bangor. I can get delivery from Pellet Warehouse of MWP for $199. Closest Okies are $300/ton at Evergreen Home Solutions in Brewer, and they don't deliver.

BTU said:
hossthehermit said:
BTU said:
hossthehermit said:
BTU said:

x10!

I'm about 20 miles outside Bangor. I can get delivery from Pellet Warehouse of MWP for $199. Closest Okies are $300/ton at Evergreen Home Solutions in Brewer, and they don't deliver.

You will have another one shortly in Palmyra and they won't be $300. I know what these dealers buy for and not all dealers will work on the same margin from one brand to another and in this country they have every right to do so, but that is something as a manufacture I have no control over. At $199 delivered you are getting a screaming good deal as the retailer is making next to nothing on that. If the MWP work for you, that is an excellent price and you should take advantage of that if your stove can burn that brand to your satisfaction.

But remember one thing....price is a function of supply and demand and if a pellet is selling for a much lower price than another ...there is usually a good reason for it...and it's probably not all just how close they are to the market. Vermont Wood Pellet is a good example of what I am taking about. Better pellet...commands more money ....but there is certainly a place in the market for a lower end product at a cheaper price....be it cars, houses, grade of food or wood pellets.

That's been my whole point in this thread.......... I burned a ton of the MWP last year..........they worked for me. I'll burn more this year, I heard they improved over last year. What REALLY BURNS MY A** is that a number of people on this forum simply tar Athens with the "DIRT IN A BAG" label.
By the way, I drove by Evergreen on my way shoppin' this morning. Got a whole bunch of your precious Okies settin' in the parking lot in the fog.

they still rank in the bottom half with regard to heat output and ash content. This is not my testing, but 3rd party

Well I don't know if I'd call them in the bottom half, I asked the mill for some test results ( something I have not seen for your product, and I'm talking official lab testing) and I was promptly emailed a copy of a Twin Ports test showing a btu of 8125 and ash of .54% . I think they are getting much better, it's a new company give them a chance.

hossthehermit said:
That's been my whole point in this thread.......... I burned a ton of the MWP last year..........they worked for me. I'll burn more this year, I heard they improved over last year. What REALLY BURNS MY A** is that a number of people on this forum simply tar Athens with the "DIRT IN A BAG" label.......

The first run was really bad and I burned many bags of them. As my friend could not in his pretty stove. I was averaging around 1.2% ash from the dreaded batch. Last years batch was far better and no way "dirt in a bag". That title went to Lake Region and Inferno's. I hear this years run is going to be the best yet and the price is one of the lowest around. So "if" they are middle of the road(or better) and you can get them for less than many other middle of the road brands. Sounds like a deal to me.

Unfortunately once you get a bad rap, Its pretty hard to clean it up. Once the people try the new stuff, I hope the word will spread around quickly. I will try to burn some and add my 2 cents to it.

MWP and Tree Cycle would be my nominee's for most improved. Glad there getting things figured out. As a pellet burner I feel we need every mll possible making a decent pellet. I still remember the days when there were only a few brands available. I like having choices!

jtakeman said:
.....As a pellet burner I feel we need every mll possible making a decent pellet. I still remember the days when there were only a few brands available. I like having choices!

Drove past the "new" NEWP plant in Deposit today....they have MANY,MANY, MANY tons of pellets (unfortunately, sitting outdoors). I guess these came from their other plants, but it seems they have plenty of stock ready. I'll be very interested hearing how the pellets that are actually MADE at the Deposit plant burn.......

imacman said:
jtakeman said:
.....As a pellet burner I feel we need every mll possible making a decent pellet. I still remember the days when there were only a few brands available. I like having choices!

Drove past the "new" NEWP plant in Deposit today....they have MANY,MANY, MANY tons of pellets (unfortunately, sitting outdoors). I guess these came from their other plants, but it seems they have plenty of stock ready. I'll be very interested hearing how the pellets that are actually MADE at the Deposit plant burn.......

If they learned anything from the last oops! They will step up the quality control and be on there toes. Word of dismay travels fast!

what does YMMV mean?

BJN644 said:
BTU said:
hossthehermit said:
BTU said:
hossthehermit said:

x10!

What is your time worth?
The extra time spent cleaning the burnpot daily....the extra time cleaning out ash content that is more than 3 times any other "premium" pellet on the market..
These pellets have a bad reputaion deservedly so...
Did I mention they have very low BTU output as well...
So lets re-cap...
Lots more maintance....cold house....bad quality pellet...
I would support a local product as well...if one were made to a decent standard...
till then I will stick with Okies...thanks

BTU is the check in the mail now?

just got 1ton MWP for $210 & got it in the house. the house smells great! opened 1 bag for a sniff & it smells great! MWP has gone thru different bag designs recently & are inhouse testing every batch though i didnt get the specs yet. come winter i'll "test" MWP vs Barefoot for heat content only while controlling the variables, hopefully....ton was double bagged also

BLIMP said:
just got 1ton MWP for $210 & got it in the house. the house smells great! opened 1 bag for a sniff & it smells great! MWP has gone thru different bag designs recently & are inhouse testing every batch though i didnt get the specs yet. come winter i'll "test" MWP vs Barefoot for heat content only while controlling the variables, hopefully....ton was double bagged also

And I will be here to pick at your results. Can you say revenge? jk ;-P Don't forget to acount for wind, humidity and any dog that farts near your OAK! Must account for all the other variables! Why not check the ash while your at it. Its the only true result your gonna get, So they told me anyway.

I thought you only trusted lab testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.