Mwp softwood reviews

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumbles

Oct 26, 2008
Southern Maine
Anybody burn the Maine softwood pellets this past winter? I burned Okies last winter and was very happy with them. However, I would like to find out if the Maine softies were any good.

I have no first hand knowledge of how they are but everything I've read on here has been positive to the point I now have 2 tons in my basement for this year.

I have no first hand knowledge of how they are but everything I've read on here has been positive to the point I now have 2 tons in my basement for this year.

I asked sib and they said they were getting like 8900 btu's and less than .5 ash. They sound really good and for 60 less a ton than Okies I like them even more!

I get confused as to which are which.... Which ones are the MWP that Home Depot sells?

I believe that the softies only went out to pellet houses, since they are a very limited supply run and very much sought after by the dealers this year. I would be real surprised to see them at a big box.

I asked sib and they said they were getting like 8900 btu's and less than .5 ash. They sound really good and for 60 less a ton than Okies I like them even more!

Same comments form Great Works Biofuels, very high heat and almost zero ash on last years run. And same reason I dropped the Spruce Points this year: pricing difference.
Let's just hope that this years run is as good as last year. I did burn half a ton of mix last year, good pellet there as well.

No experience with the softies, but like others here, I have two tons to put to the test this winter. I hope to save them for the very cold temps. We try very hard to keep recurring expenses in check. Being vigilant has saved thousands every year. After 4 years on this forum I have come to the conclusion that it isn't practical to be too picky with a pellet purchase. Best to have a good stove that burns them all.,

After 4 years on this forum I have come to the conclusion that it isn't practical to be too picky with a pellet purchase. Best to have a good stove that burns them all.,

That's exactly why I paid the money for a Harmon. I probably don't need the MWP softies, but at $239 delivered vs $275 at the store for Greene Team at Lowe's, I bought the softies.

Reactions: mepellet
That's exactly why I paid the money for a Harmon. I probably don't need the MWP softies, but at $239 delivered vs $275 at the store for Greene Team at Lowe's, I bought the softies.
That p61a will burn all of the above, sir

FULL DISCLOSURE --> I have a biomass boiler

I burned a couple tons of te MWP Softwood this past season and thought it was the best pellet I have burned to date, which include Oakies, Cleanfire Pacific, and LG's for softwoods. It had the heat of the Oakies, but finer ash.

I also burned a couple of tons of MWP Blend and thought it was by FAR the worst pellet I have burned to date. I wouldn't even burn them again if they were free. Very little heat and TONS of ash.

FULL DISCLOSURE --> I have a biomass boiler

I burned a couple tons of te MWP Softwood this past season and thought it was the best pellet I have burned to date, which include Oakies, Cleanfire Pacific, and LG's for softwoods. It had the heat of the Oakies, but finer ash.

I also burned a couple of tons of MWP Blend and thought it was by FAR the worst pellet I have burned to date. I wouldn't even burn them again if they were free. Very little heat and TONS of ash.

re: the blend- (since it was introduced into the discussion.)
i have no complaints. easily kept me warm all winter. no clinkers.
bought several more tons this year. (check my signature)
this pellet though seems to have the widest range of opinions held about it of any on this forum.
some swear by them. some people even say it's the worst they've ever burned.
but i will keep using them.
i did get 2 ton of the mwp softies this year. $235 delivered is the reason why. no way in hell i will pay close to or at $300 a ton in the current pricing framework for a "premium" pellet.

Reactions: save$
Damn... the place I bought mine was only $20 per ton difference than Okies.

Love the p61a

Status
Not open for further replies.