My 1 saw plan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MofoG23

Feeling the Heat
Well, I finally brought home my new chainsaw, a Stihl MS 361. I was grinning ear to ear watching the shop set it up!

This thing is amazing, coming from an Echo CS 400 it's Apples vs Oranges, not even close. The Echo went back to Home Depot and the Stihl was its replacement.

My father has been running an 026 for many years now and I should have taken his advice from the word go - live and learn I guess!

Anyways, I'm now looking foward to some very large oak I'll be working on this Monday...

Congratulations ! That's a great saw .

Here she is. Any advice on maintenance or what to look out for? Is there a good way to break it in, or should I just open her up into some wood?

I've never really been to the local hardware store that I bought it - I will be back and the big box stores will see less of my $$$$. Top notch service!

Attachments

• 3612.jpg
    3612.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 508
very large oak how big is very large oak?

Don't have specific measurements, but I'll be glad to post some pictures after Monday....

I'm sure the term "very large" varies from person to person...

MofoG23 said:
Don't have specific measurements, but I'll be glad to post some pictures after Monday....

What is the proper size before someone uses the term "very large"? Just curious...

that 361 will be good up to 35-40 but real slow and thats pushing it but a very large oak 40+ in.

My 1 saw plan started out by borrowing my dad's R17 saw. Later I bought my own R17 that I pawned to my dad but continued to borrow, and I eventually got the R420, a 65cc saw. A 59-65cc saw makes a pretty good 1 saw plan.

LLigetfa said:
My 1 saw plan started out by borrowing my dad's R17 saw. Later I bought my own R17 that I pawned to my dad but continued to borrow, and I eventually got the R420, a 65cc saw. A 59-65cc saw makes a pretty good 1 saw plan.
As long as there not a very large oak standing in your way that 361 and a 45 in. trunk you got a big problem! not say it cant be done but your looking a some big man hrs.

Its a good bit under 36".... 30-36" is pretty large for where I'm used to cutting...

MofoG23 said:
Its a good bit under 36".... 30-36" is pretty large for where I'm used to cutting...

that will test that 361 keep them chains sharp still a big job! congrats on the saw and tree

Thank you - new chain, so I should be good to go.

MofoG23 said:
Thank you - new chain, so I should be good to go.

take your file with you

MofoG23 said:
Here she is. Any advice on maintenance or what to look out for? Not really. They're almost maintenance free. Just knock the the crud off the air filter once a year or so and replace the spark plug every couple years. Is there a good way to break it in - Yes. Top her up with gas and oil and cut some wood - or should I just open her up into some wood?

I've never really been to the local hardware store that I bought it - I will be back and the big box stores will see less of my $$$$. Top notch service!

Question - What was wrong with the Echo? Was it just too small or did it run sh_tty?

Nothing was wrong with the Echo - it ran great and seemed to be well built. It was not the right saw for what I needed - not enough power. It would make a GREAT limbing saw...

Great choice for a saw.
I've read enough posts saying to "just run it" when new that I wouldn't shy away from doing that.
That said, if you have the time, it couldn't hurt to put it through a few heat cycles before putting it to work, which some suggest.
That would consist of getting it up to operating temp. and then shutting it down and leaving it until stone cold (3-5 hrs.).
Then run it under some small loads and let it get stone cold again.
Then put it to work. Enjoy the new "toy" !

On breaking in a saw stihl says not to run wot out of the cut other than that everthing else is normal

One thing that I would suggest strongly for anyone on a "One-saw plan" is to get an at least one extra bar and loop of chain - this can be a maximum length bar for cutting bigger than normal rounds, or just a second normal length (possibly even a bar you might otherwise say is worn out...) Sooner or later even the best of us will get our saw pinched :red: and this can be a real problem if you only have one saw / bar. If you have a spare bar, then you can always unbolt the powerhead from the pinched bar, bolt up the second bar and cut the first bar free... Saves you from having to leave your saw sticking out of a tree in the woods somewhere! Also make sure you have a couple of extra bar nuts, they like to fall off and hide under the leaves...

Actually even if you have mulitple saws, if you get one stuck, it can be a good idea to remove the powerhead before trying to cut free with the second saw... There have been more than a few cases of a tree coming loose and smashing the stuck saw in the process, so removing the powerhead to a safer place can save some expensive repairs...

Gooserider

I own a MS361 (18" & 25") also.
This thread has some good advice for you.

I am no pro but what I would add is this:

1. The 361 is a poor oiler. Flip saw over and max out the oiler adjustment screw.
2. Mix your bar oil with a thinner oil, I use 5w30. Chain may not sling oil but should be oily and not dry and hot.
3. Just echoing the bring a backup saw or bar and back-up chain and tool with you to the site.
4. Read the documentation regarding plung cuts for a large tree.

Thanks for the advice. As for having a backup, I will always have my fathers 026 available since 90% of my wood will come from his land...

I have maxed out the oiler and noticed it does not sling oil like I'm used to... During the 1st tank of fuel, I think I went through 1/2 tank of oil vs a full fuel tank... seems a bit light....

MofoG23 said:
Thanks for the advice. As for having a backup, I will always have my fathers 026 available since 90% of my wood will come from his land...

I have maxed out the oiler and noticed it does not sling oil like I'm used to... During the 1st tank of fuel, I think I went through 1/2 tank of oil vs a full fuel tank... seems a bit light....

lol thats about the way the epa wants it

smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:

I'm running an 18" Rollomatic ES bar, so I guess it's enough?

MofoG23 said:
smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:

yep Iam running a 16 in. e bar if you get into a larger bar like 25in. atf works much better

MofoG23 said:
smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:

I have had the 361 now for a few years. I set the oiler for my largest bar (25"). After a tank of fuel, the oil tank will be approx 80% empty. I have not seen any premature bar or chain wear with this setup. I run an 18" most of the time, so it gets oiled pretty well.

As far as break in....get that bar into some wood and pull the trigger. After 8-10 tanks, the saw starts to get loosened up and the inner 361 starts to come out. Vrrooomm, vrooom.

I have to say that for a single saw setup, you did good.

Thanks! I ran about 3 tanks today (4 total since I bought it) and noticed that it does use about 2/3 - 3/4 of the bar oil per tank of fuel. I was cutting some cherry and oak today - largest was just a bit over 20" and this thing cut it like butter. I'm very happy with it!

I just got a 361 and I'm using oil about the same as you. My older saws use more oil. I've only gone through 2 tanks of gas, time will tell on chain wear. I love the saw so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.