My $10 Wood Shed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2008
This is my first post though I've been reading/learning a lot from this website over the past 7-8 months. Though I dont have an insert installed just yet (hopefully very soon) I figured I'd get a jump on next winter's fuel.

I have a little under an acre of land that has a few fallen trees on the property that I am in the process of harvesting and splitting. I have about 5/8 of a cord already split and stacked..... a lot more to go.

The wood shed I just finished building is 400 cubic feet (holds 3 full cords) and cost only $10 to build (2 boxes of screws). Everything else was found on Craigslist for free or was left over from previous projects. It sits about 2 inches off the ground resting on blocks thought it doesnt look like it in the pictures. Also the pallets leaning on the sides are not attatched to the shed, they are extras that I plan on breaking up and using as kindling.

S5000237.jpg

S5000235.jpg

Looking FINE!

Wow, how ingenious and thrifty of you. Looks like it will work great and all for little to no money spent. Great job!!

Excellent. I need one as well.

Thanks for the compliments. It only took about 6 hours to put it together by myself. Ive built a lot of forts when i was a kid and this went up just as easy.
I got the idea from a link i found in this forum on building wood sheds from pallets.

there are a few different variations but they are all built from pallets.
http://summerville-novascotia.com/PalletWoodShed/

It almost looks like the largest stack of firewood in the world in your background. Is that a freeway sound wall? A house? Any woodshed beats plastic sheets. Good job scrounging.

You have some mighty clean looking pallets there. The ones I pick up always look like they were dragged in back of the trucks not put in them.

Highbeam said:
It almost looks like the largest stack of firewood in the world in your background. Is that a freeway sound wall? A house? Any woodshed beats plastic sheets. Good job scrounging.

yeah thats the turnpike sound wall. we dont call them freeways out here because they arent "free" lol.

Out in our neck of the woods we have both, turnpikes and freeways... well for now atleast.

why does it look like you would have been better off with your floor pallets flipped over (all I can see are twisted ankles with their current position)?

myzamboni said:
why does it look like you would have been better off with your floor pallets flipped over (all I can see are twisted ankles with their current position)?

i thought about that but i think there is less chance of injury given that the spaces are wider the way i have them (12.5" vs. 5"). I can fit my entire foot inbetween the boards. The way i have them set up also allows me to set logs inbetween the floor boards so the logs are more stable and less likely to move.

Rollins=best Black Flag singer ever. Keith Morris has nothing on him.

I've seen a few pics of pallet woodsheds, but this one has got to have the cleanest "lines" and overall look . . . very attractive . . . I guess one of the nicest compliments I can give you is that it really doesn't look like it was cobbled together with free pallets.

BucksCoBernie said:
myzamboni said:

i thought about that but i think there is less chance of injury given that the spaces are wider the way i have them (12.5" vs. 5"). I can fit my entire foot inbetween the boards. The way i have them set up also allows me to set logs inbetween the floor boards so the logs are more stable and less likely to move.

Rollins=best Black Flag singer ever. Keith Morris has nothing on him.

Take the boards off those extra pallets laying against the shed and nail them to your floor pallets from front to back leaving about 1" airspace inbetween.. I know you can place your foot inbetween right now, but sooner or later your gonna turn and trip and your ankle is gonna be stuck in there and twisted. And ohhh, thats gonna hurt. :long:

Nice thrifty job. And tidy looking as well :coolcheese:

Nice job!

I built a four-pallet shed (holds about a cord) ten years ago, thinking it would just get me through a couple of years till I could build something "proper". Dang if it isn't still going strong! I attribute that mostly to putting the bottom pallets up on blocks, as you did. Roofing it with some scrap plywood and a couple of squares of shingles probably helped too.

Eddy

Nice job Bucks...good air flow is great for seasoning and you got it.

Just bumping this to the top again, cause I don`t want to see this guy busting his ankle. I really don`t want to hear about that :eek:hh:

The shed looks great, but what did you use for the roof rafters? They look mighty small for what looks like a pretty long span. With that shallow a pitch you can get a lot of weight sitting up there with a good snow storm or two. I know you said you got the plans from that link you posted, but if it's something you plan to keep for a long time, I would consider an upgrade from a support standpoint. That center ridge beam could use a bit more support as well. I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to prevent a possible problem in the long run.

woodburn said:
The shed looks great, but what did you use for the roof rafters? They look mighty small for what looks like a pretty long span. With that shallow a pitch you can get a lot of weight sitting up there with a good snow storm or two. I know you said you got the plans from that link you posted, but if it's something you plan to keep for a long time, I would consider an upgrade from a support standpoint. That center ridge beam could use a bit more support as well. I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to prevent a possible problem in the long run.

the roof supports are pallet pieces. i had to work with what i had on hand. if the roof doesnt hold up i can always rebuild. I figured packing it with my splits to the roof supports will help bear the weight in the event of snow. i may redo the roof in the spring, put a nice pitch on it and bulkier supports but we'll see how she holds up this winter.

Wheres’ the pic? How come I don’t see it??
You don't see the pic because you are on the second page of this thread. The picture is at the top of page 1. Just click the blue number 1 at the bottom of this page.

Never mind. I didn't see the pics because I was on my work computer. They must be blocking the content in my office. Now that I'm at home I can see the pics. Oh well! Nice 10$ wood shed anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.