My 1988 Lopi insert (model X) is not drafting - what to do??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierranevada

Dec 10, 2007
near Lake Tahoe
Smokey, smokey fire. I had this problem last year. Had the chimney cleaned, then it worked well for 2 days and then stopped drafting again. Both top and bottom air wide open, but nothing appears to be pulled up the chimney. When it happened last year the chimney sweep came back, did something (I wasn't home so he didn't come in the house). It worked well for a couple fires and seemed plugged up again. I gave up and stopped burning early.

Then this summer a friend went up on my roof (a feat of bravery since it's tall and steep!) to check the chimney cap and spark screen because I thought it might be blocked. He said it looked OK. So far this fall/winter it has been burning fine until now.

I just switched to juniper and had a really hard time getting it going yesterday. Now today I started my fire in the usual way but have very little draft with both controls open. My chimney (stainless homesaver) is about 25 feet high and ususally draws really well. I just checked the fire again and it's going but firebrick is still all sooty and there's a back draft into the house when I open the door. Clearly air isn't moving properly.

I was just looking at the diagram of the stove and it says it has "secondary air induction channels" which appear to be along the sides. Could these be blocked? Is there any trouble shooting or maintenance I can do tomorrow when its cold? I bought this stove used but have fired it for several years with out any problems until what I described last year and the current situation. I don't think the chimney needs cleaning since its been only about half a season since the last cleaning.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My furnace is pathetic and I really need my stove working well. Thanks in advance!

Try opening a window nearby and see if the the stove drafts better. Sounds like negative pressure is causing down draft to me.

Hey I've seen numerous posts of similar situations where others recommend checking the spark screen at the top of the chimney to see if its plugged up. If you have one it could be the problem, a clogged up chimney cap. I look at mine with binoculars every day......make sure I can see light straight through to the other side.

I'll try the open window. But why if it fires well 99% of the time, would I have a negative pressure situation? I also have an older Whitfield II T in a fireplace upstairs. It has no source of outside combustion air and it will not fire when the foodstove is burning, so I rarely use it. That clearly is a negative pressure situation. But why now with the woodstove when it usually isn't a problem? My house is not very tight.

Also, thought about the spark screen being clogged. My roof is a 12 - 12 pitch over 2 stories and covered with snow. Is there any fix for this that doesn't involve climbing the roof? Thanks for your help!!

Are you running any dryers, exhaust fans etc? That will cause negatvie pressure. As for cleaning the sparkscreen there's no way but ascending the roof and cleaning it unfortunately.

Secondary air channels are tough to clog up - they are either open all the time, or else feed off the primary air channels - it should be evident by looking.

Ca. requires smaller screens, which they may have used on your cap. A chimney like that should draft to beat the band. Try it with the window nearby open about 2", and at least you will be able to confirm or eliminate a negative pressure situation. The pellet stove, if no outside air, would definitely create such a problem (when running)....

Also, determine if it is wind related - does it happen when things are still?

Do you have any bends in the chimney, or just pretty much straight up?
Does it start easy - or smoke out the door when loading?

Check the baffle shelf way back toward the flue area - soot can fall and block it, or if the unit have a wool blanket on the baffle, that can get in the way. Remove wool blanket from stove if you suspect this, and try it that way.

Last thing, keep in mind that stove gets the combustion air from the front. In such stoves, it is important not to block the air by the way you load it - I have seen Avalon models (same maker) that are very sensitive to this. The manufacturer might (maybe should) improve things by having some kind of small firedog in the front that does not allow a straight log to block the flow of air to the fire bed.

I have the same issue today, I smoldered a large log that was apparently wet, and mine isnt drafting well today.

I just borrowed my sons BB gun and took several shots at the cap, a bunch of stuff flaked off, maybe that will be enough to restore the draft.

livesw/bigtrees said:
Also, thought about the spark screen being clogged. My roof is a 12 - 12 pitch over 2 stories and covered with snow. Is there any fix for this that doesn't involve climbing the roof? Thanks for your help!!

ozarkjeep said:
I have the same issue today, I smoldered a large log that was apparently wet, and mine isnt drafting well today.

I just borrowed my sons BB gun and took several shots at the cap, a bunch of stuff flaked off, maybe that will be enough to restore the draft.

livesw/bigtrees said:

Now that's ingenuity. Sounds like me spraying snow off of my satelite dish with a garden hose.

maybe, but I have a feeling i will be on the roof today, maybe after noon the snow and ice will be mostly melted off, and my wife needs the insurance money anyway.

Shane said:
ozarkjeep said:

livesw/bigtrees said:

Now that's ingenuity. Sounds like me spraying snow off of my satelite dish with a garden hose.

OK, just fired it up for this evening. It was pretty mild today and I was outside working so no fire needed until evening.

I cleaned out the stove really well and removed what was left of the ceramic blanket. My chimney is pretty straight and normally drafts "to beat the band"! I always start with old cedar shakes and usually have a good fire in no time. Today - same as yesterday. Very little draft. I tried opening the window and this produced no change. I'm getting smoke back in the house everytime I open the door.

So back to the spark screen issue. Can you actually see from the ground if your cap is blocked? Can a chimney sweep clear the spark screen from inside? The guy who came out last year said he could, but after he was here it worked OK for a few fires and then stopped drafting again. I gave up and stopped burning early. I didn't touch the chimney over the summer. I've been burning every night since early November and my fires this season have been fine up to this point. Do spark screens sometimes spontaneously unclog themselves? This is weird.

Unlike some gutsy types, I can't see myself climbing this steep and slippery roof and I think it's totally unlikely that I will find anyone who will. I would end up doing a belly slide down the other side!

SHould I call a sweep? Don't know where to go from here......

hehe, seriously.

livesw/bigtrees said:

Attachments

• med_red_ryder.jpg
    med_red_ryder.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 287
livesw/bigtrees said:

Assuming you also cleaned the baffle and can see where the pipe (smoke) goes out - i.e. no buildup of soot there, etc.

If that is done, it is extremely likely that your cap is clogged or you have another clog (animal, etc.)......this assumes your installation has no hidden elbos, etc.

So you'll have to get that cap cleaned. I suppose it is possible to do from inside with good brushed, but you chimney may not even need cleaned - just maybe your cap needed cleaned (the screen).

If you don't have friends with a ladder and a long pole of sorts (like an extending tree pruning thingy), then you will have to get someone up there to look at it. Seems 95% certain that is the problem.

It seems to smoke no matter what wood I use, including kindling I know is very dry.

The sweep didn't disconnect the stove, but he did get a lot of crud out and seemed to know what he was doing. He inspected the stove and said everything looked good. Is disconnecting when cleaning the usual procedure? Is it important?

Just don't think I'll find anyone who will go up on the roof. (whine, whine) It's soooo steep and snowy and icy. More snow expected today. Hmmm, doesn't seem like there's any immediate fix available. It does burn, so I know it's not totally blocked. I have to leave it wide open and it starts super slowly and takes a long time to get hot and never looks "right". Even after several hours it's a super slow lazy burn. Takes forever for new wood to ignite, even smallish pieces. Is there any danger to burning this way?

Disconnecting the stove and/or going up to the top are usually needed - one or the other or both!

Personally, I would not burn it since you are likely to clog it further and then create more creosote in the chimney, and possibly back up smoke into the house, etc. - Now, what about that BB Gun or some other brilliant idea for trying to clean the cap? Do you have a pressure washer? Pretend that your entire existence depended on cleaning that cap...what would you do?

We made it to the moon, and I suspect there is some way to remotely shake that cap!

Status
Not open for further replies.