My 20 year old venting...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Keep in mid that it's around 20 years old and mostly on my corn and pellet mix. 2 sections will need replacement after this year and a new top cap as well. Everything is 4" from the cleanout tee upwards and none are interlocked and if you can see any smoke leakage, more power to you as it's never leaked.

I made my own custom standoff's in the shop. I find the commercially made ones a bit to wimpy for my taste. Quite a long vertical run but I had to get the exit end high enough to be 'out in the breeze' so to speak.

I replaced the 3-4 last year, it was getting pretty bad. You can see my fresh air intake as well FAK or OAK or whatever you prefer to call it. I like the USSC intake as it comes screened from the factory and has an inside plate as well plus the kit comes with expandable foil hose too.

100_0007.JPG 100_0008.JPG 100_0009.JPG

Reactions: Washed-Up
Good job on the standoffs lol….look similar to mine…great minds

Those 30 buck ones from Duravent don't impress me at all. Besides. I have the materials laying around all the time so, a little cutting and some glue gun welding and viola, real standoff's. I'll paint them this summer when I replace the vent sections.

The spot welds on them go….all the time, gave up on re-zapping them and made my own

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Would not you lose heat with that outside connection? Just curious no negatives here. ? clancey
Not following. The outside air kit goes right into the stove below the firepot and if you are referring to the venting, yes, the upper sections really don't get very hot. The lowers do. My philosophy is, why use heated (by the stove) air for combustion. They don't make a huge amount of BTU output to begin with so I want the stove heated air to stay inside.

When it's really cold out I need to be careful with the cold air intake as that frigid air really makes the fire pound, so I'll back down the firing rate a bit.

The spot welds on them go….all the time, gave up on re-zapping them and made my own
I have them lag bolted into the side of the house so nothing is moving at all. The top mount is lagged into the roof sheathing with asphalt sealer below the mounting pads. Could be why my joints have never leaked even though the vent pipe is just stacked on top of one another. Once the worm clamps are tightened, the whole thing becomes very rigid. I also suspect the never seize has some sealing quality as well and I don't skimp on it. I lay it on pretty thick (and get it all over myself in the process.

The cat is optional btw. If anyone wants a few, we have about 20. 12 outside, the rest inside and now we also have a rescue Border Collie too. Name is Wyatt, 8 years old. Pushbutton. Already house broken and likes cats which in our house is a good thing.

Cats came with the wife and multiplied.