my 2012-2013 start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Behind schedule but finally stocking up for 2012 - 2013 season.

Tried a different supplier this time. Big Knob Services in Carlisle, PA. After stacking found out it was short 48 CF or 4 ft x 4 ft x 3 ft short. I emailed the guy with pictures and he said he'll bring it on Wednesday. What I liked is it was quite a bit of red oak which I never had before. What I didn't like is the splits were huge so I had to split most of it again. When I said something to the guy as he was dumping he said just say so when I order. He splits it when ordered because people like the fresh split color so he can give me any size split I want but some like them big so they can make their own size and others like it small so he goes for larger because you can always make it smaller.

When it was delivered was during our freak cold snap and he said "ya go'in to burn any of this tonight?" I said "nope, too wet this is for next year I got plenty for this year." I got the deer in the headlights look, long pause followed by "It's been cut and stacked for a year it should be great", I said "you said you just split it yesterday", he said "yup", I said "then it isn't no where near dry". He gave me that - your odd look, said thank you for your business hope I can serve you again.

On a side note, been looking at the wood burners I drive by on my way to work and still no wood in their car ports yet; belching steam coming soon.

Attachments

• 2012_2013stack.jpg
    2012_2013stack.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_20110916_170932.jpg
    IMG_20110916_170932.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 409
Neighbor had his wood for this year dumped yesterday. He is good to go for this season. :roll:

That looks like a nice start.

Keep working away at it and before long you'll be posting pics like Zap and BS!

n3pro, it won't be steam. It'll probably be a pretty blueish/gray color and smell really nice......like fall. You know, leaves smouldering and stuff.
I'm waiting for it to start around here. Won't be long now. Most folks here have had their wood put up for a GOOD month or so. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Neighbor had his wood for this year dumped yesterday. He is good to go for this season. :roll:

A friend of mine told me he waits till Fall to order because he needs to run his sprinklers to keep the lawn green, and he can't figure out how to adjust them so they won't soak his wood pile.

btuser said:
BrotherBart said:

A friend of mine told me he waits till Fall to order because he needs to run his sprinklers to keep the lawn green, and he can't figure out how to adjust them so they won't soak his wood pile.

Wow!

btuser said:
BrotherBart said:

This place has sprinklers too. The first two month I was here I was like a little kid, they're neat. Then I saw what it did to the water bill and the electric bill (used a pump for added pressure ) haven't been used in the last 9 years!

PapaDave said:
n3pro, it won’t be steam. It’ll probably be a pretty blueish/gray color and smell really nice…...like fall. You know, leaves smoldering and stuff.
I’m waiting for it to start around here. Won’t be long now. Most folks here have had their wood put up for a GOOD month or so.

True. The one weekly run I do takes me up to the country and there are two places that even driving by at 45 mph it stinks up the truck. The smoke just hangs over the road like dense fog. I feel bad for their neighbors. At the club cabin the same way unfortunately. Its one of the many things I love about this stove, outside there is a hint of wood burning smell but that's it, not the eye burning, throat tickling thick smoke the I deal with elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.