My $80 Holz Hausen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullystull

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 7, 2008
WV Mountains
I generally cut most of my own wood. However, last year I found a local guy who sells wood for fairly cheap so I have purchased a few truck loads. I can neatly stack my truck full (roughly 3'X4'X6'=72 cubic ft) for $40.00. This year, he has a bunch of standing dead oak that was taken out of the local state forest because of gypsy moth damage. I can back up to his pile of splits and back right up to where I need to stack it so, at $40/load it's a no brainer for me. Here's a pic of my holz hausen which was built with two truck loads. Happy summer!

Sully

Attachments

• HH.jpg
    HH.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 588
I would not cover it. Mayber right before you burn it.

I top cover all my piles--all year long. Just my personal preference.

Here's a pic of another pile I top cover. Built this set up from some leftover metal roofing and scrap 2X4's.

Attachments

• wood_row.jpg
    wood_row.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 464
I really like your 2nd setup the one built out of scraps hard to admire the H H because of that ugly tarp hanging over it. Going to have to build me one.

Good Job and good luck :zip:

For sure the price is right sully. Good for you for getting this wood.

That HH is a bit more than top covered though. The tarp could tend to trap moisture rather than letting it evaporate. That stack with the metal roofing is super! Nice work.

Good deal on the wood. I bet it's fun loading under that Truck cap.

I really like that stuff holding up the ugly green tarp.

woodsmaster said:
Good deal on the wood. I bet it's fun loading under that Truck cap.

It's not bad actually. Because we're stacking neatly already, it doesn't take that much more time...maybe a few more minutes per load. A bonus is there's no need to tie down the wood during transport.

Backwoods Savage said:

That HH is a bit more than top covered though. The tarp could tend to trap moisture rather than letting it evaporate. That stack with the metal roofing is super! Nice work.

I can see 44 large scale wind turbines from that HH. Point being, it's windy here--not much moisture getting trapped anywhere. The tarp might come down a bit too far on the sides. If I was stacking green wood in there I may be concerned. However, I think it will dry out just fine. Out of curiosity, I will probably take the moisture meter to the splits under the top vs. splits farther down just for grins and giggles and see if there's a difference.

I thought that those H H s were designed to draw air in the bottom and up thru the wood and out the top like a chimney, and I just noticed your signature thats not you with chainsaw and flip-flops :zip:
have a great day

cptoneleg said:
I thought that those H H s were designed to draw air in the bottom and up thru the wood and out the top like a chimney, and I just noticed your signature thats not you with chainsaw and flip-flops :zip:
have a great day

I stack it that way more for the aesthetics and lack of space in my wood area, and less for the idea of a chimney effect.

Nope, that's not me in the pic--but rather a friend. I came up to his place one day and that's what I saw--unbelievable for sure! Me, I'm the exact opposite and wear chaps, gloves, helmet/mask combo. When I was 10 yrs old, I watched someone get cut with a chainsaw and ended up needing 125 stitches. That was enough for me to learn.

Cptoneleg--where's north-west Virginia put you on the map, Winchester?????

12 miles from Front Royal- 18 miles from Winchester - our address is Front Royal

sullystull said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I can see 44 large scale wind turbines from that HH. Point being, it's windy here--not much moisture getting trapped anywhere. The tarp might come down a bit too far on the sides. If I was stacking green wood in there I may be concerned. However, I think it will dry out just fine. Out of curiosity, I will probably take the moisture meter to the splits under the top vs. splits farther down just for grins and giggles and see if there's a difference.

44 turbines! That is some serious harnessing of the breeze! I can see why you tie things down a bit.

sullystull said:
Here's a pic of my holz hausen which was built with two truck loads. Happy summer!

Sully

Truck looks like a 2001 - 2004 Nisan Frontier. I have one as well with the "long bed" used to haul my wood in it before I picked up my flatbed

Backwoods Savage said:
sullystull said:
Backwoods Savage said:

44 turbines! That is some serious harnessing of the breeze! I can see why you tie things down a bit.

I always joke with folks who visit and ask "Is it always this windy here?" My response is, "If they would just turn off all those big fans, it wouldn't be." :)

Elderthewelder said:
sullystull said:
Here's a pic of my holz hausen which was built with two truck loads. Happy summer!

Sully

Truck looks like a 2001 - 2004 Nisan Frontier. I have one as well with the "long bed" used to haul my wood in it before I picked up my flatbed

You guessed it...2004, long bed, 4 door, 5 speed. It took me forever to find a truck that met those requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.