My agony is over... I finally pulled the trigger on a stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going with a Jotul Rangeley. Got it for a fair price too (2249 with no sales tax). I hope to pick it up Saturday.

Now comes the other fun part... figuring out the best chimney for the price. I want stainless steel, and double wall black inside the house (for clearances). Cathedral install.... who do you all recommend for the best bang? I wont go with the galvanized, so let us scrap that idea now.

I am PUMPED. I think my wife might be more though (because I am reading these forums too often, and she loves the heat that a stove pumps out).

Good score. One of the lowest price options for Class A SS is Selkirk Supervent. Around here, it's in Lowes. It may be in other big boxes around you.

Good score. One of the lowest price options for Class A SS is Selkirk Supervent. Around here, it's in Lowes. It may be in other big boxes around you.
Around here it's in Menards and Lowes. Menards has a much better selection and all the accessories. Its a quality product at rock bottom prices.

The local hardware store gave me a better price than the big boxes and the internet and let me store it in his shed until I was ready to put it in.

Matt

Reactions: OldLumberKid
I picked up all of my Supervent at Menards. It was on sale for $59 per 3ft section.

Reactions: gchunter
I have Dura Vent. Check out there site for all the parts and install instructions.

Are you doing the install?

I will be doing the install with my father in law (who has put up many chimneys in his days). Got it all on order today from Lowes.

I tried to give my local stove dealer a shot. I got the owner on the phone, and told him the brand I want, and the configuration. The quote he provides me, without saying a word of difference, is for a completely different manufacturer (of lesser construction).

Not even going to give this guy the time of day in a response. He has a brand new showroom, has ALWAYS been the most expensive in the area, and now he is jerking me around. Go jerk someone else around guy... you just lost $1k pipe order (and he lost the stove order to a NH dealer). Guy is literally 10 min away in the next town. Some folks just don't have great business sense.

The local hardware store gave me a better price than the big boxes and the internet and let me store it in his shed until I was ready to put it in.

Matt

That actually happened, amazing. Our local hardware store is like moneygrab city. Guess it's the high rents they pay on main street, and maybe it's unavoidable on NorthShore L.I., but sometimes we wish they would not try to gouge us on so many things.

It was a hardware store in a really small town. The owner freely tells you that there are some things that are marked up a bunch and others that he doesn't mark up much. He keeps his paint and chimney products low. I also found out that he doesn't mark Gorilla Glue up much because it costs him a bunch to buy it. If you walk in with cash he'll cut the price on everything but gorilla glue. He also does volume discounts on bulk screws and staples, etc.

He's a lot of fun once you get past his ornery personality.

Matt

I did the same, stove dealers want 12 -1500 and a small hardware store who doesn't even sell stoves gave me a great price. On a better product.

It's nice to support small buisness unless they are trying to put you over the coals

Did a burn in my driveway yesterday while I was splitting... curing the paint instead of doing so in my house. It was a little warm, and the single wall was not that tall (only 2ft)... but I think this stove is going to be a heater! The stove got plenty warm on only simply 2x4 scraps... hopefully the weekend after next the chimney parts will be in. Pumped.

Please share some pics of your install. We love pictures.

I will be doing the install with my father in law (who has put up many chimneys in his days). Got it all on order today from Lowes.

I tried to give my local stove dealer a shot. I got the owner on the phone, and told him the brand I want, and the configuration. The quote he provides me, without saying a word of difference, is for a completely different manufacturer (of lesser construction).

Not even going to give this guy the time of day in a response. He has a brand new showroom, has ALWAYS been the most expensive in the area, and now he is jerking me around. Go jerk someone else around guy... you just lost $1k pipe order (and he lost the stove order to a NH dealer). Guy is literally 10 min away in the next town. Some folks just don't have great business sense.

Yeah, I know the place (I think) ..I have no idea how they stay in business. Guess some people just don't want to get educated and are happy to just write checks.

Did a burn in my driveway yesterday while I was splitting... curing the paint instead of doing so in my house. It was a little warm, and the single wall was not that tall (only 2ft)... but I think this stove is going to be a heater! The stove got plenty warm on only simply 2x4 scraps... hopefully the weekend after next the chimney parts will be in. Pumped.

Good idea.

Can't remember seeing a photo of a driveway burn [in my short time on the forums] — would make a good pic! Keep curing that paint for a bit and take some photos.

This is my third season with the Rangeley and you will love it. Stove burns very well and heats efficiently, if you have well seasoned wood then everything else is a breeze. You can really bank it up with the top load and that feature also makes it easy to sweep from the top or bottom of the chimney pipe. I used Duravent double wall stovepipe and triple chimney in SS. Leave the ash pan full and just remove ash when it gets too much in the stove. It burns better and stays hotter with the ash pan full and some in the fire box. I have a flue damper to throttle it down in conjunction with the primary air control, you can get the Rangeley to 500 deg easily and the secondary combustion is sweet. Stove holds heat well too and rekindles smoothly. Have fun and be safe.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.