My Avalon Astoria pellet stove free standing won't shut down - My fault

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racerx009

Jan 7, 2009
Orange County,N.Y
Hey guys it's been along time on here and merry christmas before my brain farts again. I own a Avalon stove that was bought and installed in 2007 by Country Pellets or something they vanished back into NJ. I live in Orange county NY. Since that store left my only option of cleaning repairs is 2 shops both about 25mls away it a big hit to come out to me. I had one store come out for a cleaning and the dust problem that stirs up when the stove is on they said it was normal . I don't have a cold intake that goes outside and the company said that its not really needed. But the dust that is behind the stove has to be sucked up and blow out there are no filters. The convection blower fan is wide open and dusty and I clean it often and the air intake pipe has no filter either. Something doesn't make sense my wife went out and spent 250.00 on a air purifer.
Well to night I did a stupid thing again not thinking clearly as always. I decided to cover the convection fan with a filter and went to measure the opening with a mmetal ruler while stove pluged in and sap. I hit the round thing with a hose to it ended up with a spark the fuse blew on the control board. I replaced the fuse with the correct one no fault light starts up runs fine except it keeps over filling the pot. I turn it off and it woun't shut doown auger still going so I emptied the hopper and let the pellet run out then pulled the plug. I let it say off and unplugged for an hour filled some pellets in started it up no fault light running fine then the pellets keep flow and the pot over fills again. So, I repeated the empty pellets and pulled the plug out.
Any clue will help plus, I can't find a break down of parts for this stove to find out what that part is that, I may have shorted.

GUYS PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF MY WORDING IS OFF MY LIFE HAS BEEN IN A SPIN SINCE 2007 MY WORLD CAME CRASHING DOWN DUE TO 9/11. I WAS RETIRED AFTER 14YRS FROM NYPD AFTER A MIND MELT DOWN AND HEALTH ISSUES.
I AM ASE CERTIFIED AUTO MECHANIC OVER 15YRS INCLUDING BEING AN F.B.I AITOMOTIVE TECH THESE DAYS I'M LUCKY TO REMEMBER MY NAME. I'M STATING THIS DUE TO SOME PEOPLE ON OTHER FORUMS THINKS ITS A JOKE WHEN MY WORDING IS SCREWED UP.
THANK YOU

We are all family here so your problem is now ours too! The stove issue sounds like you have damaged a triac in the auger circuit on the control board.

I'll try to explain what happened. When you hit the vacuum switch with the metal ruler, Its surged the auger circuit. The vacuum switch controls the auger function and ties directly into the control board. The triac that controls the auger has been damaged. And is now stuck in the closed state. Always sending power to the auger feed motor. Cheap part, but not an easy repair. There could also be some unknown damage to the board.

Unfortunately the sure fix is a new control board. With the auger not cycling it has made the stove very dangerous. I do not recommend running this until you have the board replaced!

Please in the future anytime you take the covers off the stove. Unplug the stove. Power is present in many places even if the stove isn't running.

j-takeman said:
We are all family here so your problem is now ours too! The stove issue sounds like you have damaged a triac in the auger circuit on the control board.

I'll try to explain what happened. When you hit the vacuum switch with the metal ruler, Its surged the auger circuit. The vacuum switch controls the auger function and ties directly into the control board. The triac that controls the auger has been damaged. And is now stuck in the closed state. Always sending power to the auger feed motor. Cheap part, but not an easy repair. There could also be some unknown damage to the board.

Unfortunately the sure fix is a new control board. With the auger not cycling it has made the stove very dangerous. I do not recommend running this until you have the board replaced!

Please in the future anytime you take the covers off the stove. Unplug the stove. Power is present in many places even if the stove isn't running.

Thanks for the advice !!! I wasn't think as usual have safe holiday.

Racerx009 said:
...... I can't find a break down of parts for this stove to find out what that part is that, I may have shorted......

Hey Racerx....another Orange County pellet burner here. If you need an owners manual, or a service manual, I can email them to you...let me know.

BTW, is your forum name have anything to do w/ racing at the speedway in Middletown? We raced modifieds there for years, and now are racing sprints.

Status
Not open for further replies.