My Baby 'Bota with her ASH hanging out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice day to cut wood. Had a very large ash come down last fall. I have not even gotten to the 40' trunk yet.
This is a small sample.

Attachments

• DSC07725.jpg
    DSC07725.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 590
Thats no baby........My jd135 is a baby. That is Awesome!

smokinjay said:

Well they certainly go much bigger, but I love her.
30hp 4 cylinder diesel, does much of what I ask - sometimes I ask too much!

Thanks again for the sharpening tips - I'm working 3x faster and not really trying.

offroadaudio said:
smokinjay said:

Well they certainly go much bigger, but I love her.

Thanks again for the sharpening tips - I'm working 3x faster and not really trying.

I would go left arm right leg on it...Thats perfect size.

offroadaudio said:
My Baby 'Bota showing some berry...Mulberry that is.

I see.... large fruit,salad or popcorn bowls for one thing.Or short thick planks for benches,footstools & related flatwork :coolsmile: Though I cut some Mulberry pretty much every year (its everywhere around here,whether in town or rural woodland,fields & fencerows),I rarely can save more than 5 or 10% for woodworking purposes.Even larger logs are seldom found straight, more than 4-5 ft long,free of large knots & taper-free.Its one of my fav woods to burn & use in the smoker & BBQ grill though,so its a win-win situation! :cheese:

Baby 'Bota showing some Sugar - part of a 25' trunk that also fell last fall.
I really had to wrestle this thing, because it was on a hill side and the tires were in 6" of snow.
I kept finding myself sliding downhill with the tires spinning. Scared me a few times.

Attachments

• DSC07727.jpg
    DSC07727.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 484
offroadaudio said:
I really had to wrestle this thing, because it was on a hill side and the tires were in 6" of snow.
I kept finding myself sliding downhill with the tires spinning. Scared me a few times.

Gotta love that sugar maple plus the Bota.

Zap

offroadaudio said:

Do you mow with it?

Nice tractor! That should come in handy for many chores.

SolarAndWood said:
offroadaudio said:

Do you mow with it?

I do mow with it - which is why I went with the R4's instead of full ag bar tires. I have the 60" mid-mount mower and HATE it! It kills the ground clearance, and it is not shear bolt or slip clutch protected - ask me how I know. I blew the seal out of the bottom of the gear box and 2 new seals latter it still leaked. I called the dealer and they said that they have a hard time with that gear box leaking and it's best just to replace it - just for a seal - only $800!
So I pulled the filler plug, took a grease gun and pumped it full of grease and called it fixed. I should have gotten a 3 point finish mower, but I'm still learning.
Other than the MMM I love Kubota.

Thanks for looking guys.

offroadaudio said:
I have the 60" mid-mount mower and HATE it! It kills the ground clearance

Thanks, I've wondered about that.

Of course you give up turning radius with the 3 point mower - but it's easier to put on and take off - and you can back into places with a longer reach than the belly mower - like getting under pine trees.

I had a 6' finish mower. It worked pretty well but I have been spoiled since by my old JD commercial 5' front mow. But, I'd like to consolidate to one machine to mow, blow, rototill and light loader work. Have to choose your compromises in life wisely...

offroadaudio said:
Put on an attachment or some sort of wt. on the back and it will handle better. I've got my tires loaded but if I'm lifting something heavy I always try and have an 3pt attachment hooked up. It's kind of un nerving to have the rear tires spin and not touch the ground. Now when I have my farmi winch on the back and I'm pulling out some big stuff I have to fill the bucket up to keep the front down. Tractors can move alot but you need to keep them balanced.
leaddog

leaddog said:
offroadaudio said:
Put on an attachment or some sort of wt. on the back and it will handle better. I've got my tires loaded but if I'm lifting something heavy I always try and have an 3pt attachment hooked up. It's kind of un nerving to have the rear tires spin and not touch the ground. Now when I have my farmi winch on the back and I'm pulling out some big stuff I have to fill the bucket up to keep the front down. Tractors can move alot but you need to keep them balanced.
leaddog

Good point - my rears are loaded, but I could add the box blade to balance things.

offroadaudio said:
leaddog said:
offroadaudio said:
leaddog

Good point - my rears are loaded, but I could add the box blade to balance things.

Loaded tires and an implement will help get the power to the ground, once you get that chains will help with traction, especially in the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.