My basement wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
Wow, that's impressive. Loading will be ridiculously easy- just turn, grab, and toss in. I would be a bit concerned about bringing in pests storing that much wood in the house for such long periods.

I don't think I would want my wood pile in the basement. None of the bugs will go dorment.

Some of it's been in for a few weeks and I haven't noticed any bugs. I can tolerate a few extra bugs when I'm getting free heat though.

Yep, it's a Daka. Three wires and few lengths of duct and I'm ready to start burning!

I may build an overhang off the back of the house and store wood under there next year. It would be nice to not have so much space tied up with wood so I could put my freezers in that room. We'll see how much wood I actually go through this year. I guess that will be the tell tale sign of how big of an overhang/shed I really have to build.

Hi Ike, yeah I think you'll be very happy with a lean-to off the back of the house.

I'd be very leary about bring in that much wood into the basement so close to the stove...ya know how wood sheds as you handle it over time, it can create a perfect kindling environment between those log that could conceal sparks throw from inside the fire plant door. But those elevated wood racks ya buy at HD/Lowes that held 1/3 face cord would provide 3-4 days heat for you and you could clean under 'em too.

That's why I like this site! People here have a genuine care for the safety and well being of other members. I appreciate that just as much as the expert advice that I've gotten and gleaned from this forum.

Perhaps the picture angle is decieving, but I over did the minimum clearances to combustables that the manual stated. It called for 48" from the front of the furnace to combustables. If I remember correctly, I could still have another pile and still meet this requirement, but I decided it would be best to leave it as is. I'm going to try to get 2-3 more cords behind the house. I really have no idea how much I will end up going through, but it's not like I can't use it next year!

I store about 1.5-2 cords of wood in my basement...no bug or pest issues at all. I took the precaustion of tossing out a handful of those little ant trap things...not sure if I just have no problem or if they help keep it under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.