My biggest score yet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holzstapel

Burning Hunk
Jun 7, 2013
New Jersey
I posted last week about the woodpile on my boss's property that he gave me complete access to. His email read as follows "
The pile is about 100 ft long, three or four logs deep, and six feet high, you are welcome to take what you want

Cut into logs, not split

Various types, whatever came down in hurricane sandy, more than half of it tulip which is easy to split but not a hardwood, various other types as well such as birch, no oak. You are welcome to take whatever, although if you take the other species, I would prefer you take tulip with it as well

You are welcome to come by any time to take it, there is a gate at the lower end of my property which lets you drive into my back woods along a dirt road, it is pile along that dirt road."

Well, this morning I was a little early for work and decided to swing by and load up the truck. I loaded up with birch and what i think is maple, but I'm not 100%. I have no idea what tulip looks like so I have some research to do. I think this pile will last me quite awhile, but I dont have enough room on my property to store all this. I'll be taking truckloads home this week and renting a splitter this weekend

Chucks pile.jpg

Tulip is a hardwood. Any tree that loses its leaves in the fall and regrows them in the spring is classified as a hardwood. This is decidious tree growth. Tulip is a commercial timber tree. Its wood is used for secondary furniture construction on better made furniture. It is the largest native hardwood. Not related to and should not be confused with aspens or cottonwoods that are also commonly called poplar.
You have a great score!! I would not worry about seperating those species out!! Find room for all of it. Looks like 3 years of free heat sitting there!!

I'm not sure why he said that about the tulip, but I dont have any problems taking anything that I can eventually burn.

The tulip is the first round (laying on its side) in the third row from the right. It is good shoulder season wood...don't be shy about taking it.

Reactions: Holzstapel
Need any help let me know ;)

That is close to the amount of red oak I am working on except not that high. So far 2 ram loads. I need my friend to help me with the big ones...

Poplar is well defined between the sapwood and heartwood. The sapwood should be white and the heartwood will have a greenish hue to it. The 4th row up front looks like black birch which is very good wood but it needs to be split and kept dry or it will get punky fast. The pieces on the bottom probably have sprouted fungus all ready. If you take any of that home i suggest you separate it out and get it processed first.

Thats a dream score - how many loads will that be? it would be quite a task but well worth it. By the sounds of it it is on the way to work so you can 'pop in' every day and take a load but even so it looks like a few weeks worth of loads.

Thats a dream score - how many loads will that be? it would be quite a task but well worth it. By the sounds of it it is on the way to work so you can 'pop in' every day and take a load but even so it looks like a few weeks worth of loads.

I loaded up again this morning and my best guesstimate would be 'dozens of loads'.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Awesome score! EASY pickins!

:eek: Holy %$#@ Batman! :eek: You live in firewood dreamland...

Of course, Sandy was the reason for all of this and as such, maybe not such a great deal overall. Still... !!! I wood be there with a trailer hauling that out and be splitting wood here all summer. Tulip poplar is not a true poplar, as mentioned above, its in the magnolia family and is better to burn than true poplar or eastern cottonwood, IMO. Not high heat wood, but a good shoulder season wood. If you take the birch split it first; it will rot fast when left in rounds (I found that out 2 years ago here after falling several birches on my property). The maple/ash there is good firewood, I would take that first.

Going with his estimate of 100 feet long and 6 feet high and say 4' deep (three 16" rounds), you are looking at 18.75 cords of wood as stacked.

Most of those rounds in the left corner, other than that maple round perpendicular to the others looks like poplar. or tulip poplar.

Yah, all the wood with the off-colored heartwood centers are likely the tulip. The owner said that was half the wood there.

I would look at the bark on the logs and then try to match it to the trees around there and look at the leaf and growth habit to figure out what they are.

Anytime you can get easy access wood it is a plus.
Take it all. It all burns. Except willow of course.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.