my biggest score yet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
i got another call about some storm-downed trees and the woman on the other end said, 'as much wood as you'll ever need'. we'll see about that, i thought... well, i wish i had a fleet of dump trucks and a troop of worker bees. she wasn't kiddin. after four loads in my wagon it didn't look like i put even a small, tiny, micro dent in it. bucked logs up front, huge stacks of big rounds out back, uncut logs all over the place. i had a hard time deciding how to tackle the job but i let her husband know that i WILL be getting a trailer later in the week just in case they think i'm some hack and will take two years to clear their yard. i'm thinking a load a day before work until i can get my trailer, and when all the cut stuff is cleared, start work on the uncut logs. there was a thick bed of oak leaves in the front yard but i'm not sure that any of the downed stuff was oak. just need the ground to harden up some more so i can drive on the yard and in my yard. i don't have pics of the work area, but here's some pics of what i could drag home...

Attachments

• wood01a.jpg
    wood01a.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 961
  • wood02a.jpg
    wood02a.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 982
  • wood03a.jpg
    wood03a.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 967
  • wood04a.jpg
    wood04a.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 931
  • wood05a.jpg
    wood05a.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 956
I see some white oak in that stack....great score, thats one of the best!!!

looks like some red oak to.

I see mostly White Oak, maybe some Red Oak in there too. Great score!

Jackpot!! :coolsmile:

Man that's looks like some serious BTUs.
All good solid wood too. Saw is cutting well :)
Great score.

finally onto some hardwoods after the pine and maple! and my saw's still running a little wonky but i cleaned it up a little and checked the air filter. i didn't cut most of those pieces so the saw had a light day today. can't wait to get my trailer and really speed things up. luckily, this house is about five minutes from me.

toonces said:
finally onto some hardwoods after the pine and maple! and my saw's still running a little wonky but i cleaned it up a little and checked the air filter. i didn't cut most of those pieces so the saw had a light day today. can't wait to get my trailer and really speed things up. luckily, this house is about five minutes from me.

5 minutes, that's as close to free, for a free wood scrounge as you can get :)
Drag the logs down the street, with a red flag on the end of course, LOL :lol:
What trailer are you getting?
I emptied the gas & ran it dry, so new gas when I can cut again. No ethanol gas here. It helps.

Mmmmmm . . . that's some good looking wood there.

White oak has one of the best aromas when burning too! Definitely one of my faves... :cheese:

Scotty Overkill said:
White oak has one of the best aromas when burning too! Definitely one of my faves... :cheese:

Its pretty good when sawing or shaping it too.Has that nice vanilla-ish scent.Even sitting in a stack you can smell it if the wind's just right.Red/Black Oak if its damp or green,can really stink though.Has a sour odor that reminds me of mouldy old Provolone cheese lol.

bogydave said:
toonces said:

I emptied the gas & ran it dry, so new gas when I can cut again. No ethanol gas here. It helps.
i decided on a 4x6 3-sided trailer from Tractor Supply. i was thinking about just getting the cheaper frame only, but this one has sides and mesh bottom so all i have to do is add a plywood flooring for reinforcement. i figure it's small enough that i won't overload my wagon and i can hopefully store it in the garage with little effort. going to get it registered in the AM and maybe pick it up before work.

toonces said:
bogydave said:
toonces said:

i decided on a 4x6 3-sided trailer from Tractor Supply. i was thinking about just getting the cheaper frame only, but this one has sides and mesh bottom so all i have to do is add a plywood flooring for reinforcement. i figure it's small enough that i won't overload my wagon and i can hopefully store it in the garage with little effort. going to get it registered in the AM and maybe pick it up before work.

A trailer is a great asset for wood burners.
I have a P/U & most times 1/3 load the trailer & watch the springs & 2 rows in the truck bed near the cab & combined is over 4,000 lbs of wood.
Learned that I overload the trailer pretty easy. Now I watch the springs & tires :)
Gonna triple your hauls :)
Just be careful, it is real easy to overload a trailer with fire wood, real easy. :zip:
a 16" X16" round is close to 100 lbs each on most green wood. (Oak about 110lbs)
select Black oak type in 16" X 16" & 4' long: (thats 3, 16" rounds) 340 lbs ;)
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl?calculator=log_weight
Looking forward to the pictures.

You got some nice burning wood there. It don't get no better than that.

first trailer load on the same score. went easy on this one and didn't load it to the gills but i guesstimate about 750 lbs of wood according to my arms. car handled it really well.

Attachments

• wood06a.jpg
    wood06a.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 537
  • wood07a.jpg
    wood07a.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 532
That is a sweet score. Those rounds are about the ideal size for yielding alot of splits quick. Pretty straight grained and should easily pop right open with a maul. Looks like a nice mix of good hardwood. Congrats.

luckilLEE said:
That is a sweet score. Those rounds are about the ideal size for yielding alot of splits quick. Pretty straight grained and should easily pop right open with a maul. Looks like a nice mix of good hardwood. Congrats.

+1, also nice job on not killing your equipment. That close to home you can make a lot of trips for little cost. Good Job! A C

Good job and a real nice score! Gotta wonder which of you is working harder .. you or the Subaru ?? Nice for the wood to be close by.

A Subaru never quits working by far one of the best cars made in the world,a real sleeper for sure.

toonces said:
first trailer load on the same score. went easy on this one and didn't load it to the gills but i guesstimate about 750 lbs of wood according to my arms. car handled it really well.

Still, gotta wonder when the sheer size of the score tells you to get a truck. Enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Looks like your choice for a trailer fits well.
Nice load, I'm betting closer to 1000 then 750 if it green wood :)
Jags may want you to weigh each piece LOL :lol:
Better under weight than over.
Did it double or triple the amount of each trip?

trust me, i've been thinking about a truck lately. i had a '98 Tacoma until it got t-boned a little over a year ago so i went with a wagon to haul my kid and gear plus gain a little MPG. it's working well but obviously has it's limits. i don't plan on hauling this much wood very often so it's good for now and the price of gas is keeping me in a smaller car (for now).

i may have to take my bathroom scale with me to see what i'm hauling exactly. i'm just guessing weight based on 50# bags of flour i had to haul when i stocked groceries back in the day. i think if i pack the trailer full i will at least double my take per load. for sure if i add a few pieces in the trunk. not sure if i want to try that, though.

That's a nice score for sure. Two years from now, you've got some serious BTU's. I managed to scrounge 5 cords of white and red oak this past Nov/Dec from all the storm damage form Irean and the Oct snowstorm. Mother nature has been very good to me this year!

so i busted out the bathroom scale and weighed a couple of the rounds i took today. the first pic, lower right chunk, 13.5" diameter @ 16" tall was 96#. another was 12.5" diameter @ 17.5" and weighed 82#. four loads today of the biggest rounds i've piled up yet. heavy. soreness to follow..

Attachments

• wood08a.jpg
    wood08a.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 196
  • wood09a.jpg
    wood09a.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 204
  • wood10a.jpg
    wood10a.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 210
toonces said:
so i busted out the bathroom scale and weighed a couple of the rounds i took today. the first pic, lower right chunk, 13.5" diameter @ 16" tall was 96#. another was 12.5" diameter @ 17.5" and weighed 82#. four loads today of the biggest rounds i've piled up yet. heavy. soreness to follow..
looking great toonces......gotta love that white oak!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.