My Boiler Room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blevesque

Oct 17, 2008
Maine
After scanning many threads and and pictures over the last week or so, and seeing all the great installs. I figured what the heck I post mine. Let me know what you think. The tanks are insulated now but the mess is still there, thats next on the list.

Fresh tanks that I picked up for free (it's acually a funny story how I ended up getting them)
BoilerRoom001.jpg

Differant angle with the new sx-160 expansion tank
BoilerRoom003.jpg

Injection loop and radiant zones
BoilerRoom002.jpg

Controls
BoilerRoom006.jpg

Random shot
BoilerRoom004.jpg

How do you like the new yorker? I am currently installing a wc90. Just a few more bugs to work out and I am ready to fire her up.
Just have hook up power and run the wiring for the one aquastat that opens the largest zone upon overheat.
I am having trouble figuring out how to hook that up. I have1 red wire and one white wire coming down from my thermostat and I have 2 yellows and 2 reds coming out of my zone valve. The aquastat has two screws on it.
I am assuming that I need to run 1 wire from the aquastat to the thermostat side and one wire from the aquastat to the zone valve side but am not sure which wires to connect to.

In any case, your install is very impressive.

Wood Pirate the new yorker isn't a bad unit, I'm still getting used to it myself, I have my draft issues squared away now. I'll have a few more long nights until I get to know the system. I recommend putting a comfortable chair down stairs your going to need it. As far as the contols go I didn't use the ones supplied with the boiler.

Man, you better hide your location! You'll have thieves there strippin' the copper out of your place faster than scat! :) LOL!!

Very nice boiler room. Mine isn't so nice and impressive.... I used pex everywhere..... Cheap, but not pretty! :)

what a nice looking plumbing supply warehouse.....i mean basement. like wood pirate, i am installing a new yorker, which should be delivered today. did you have some type of draft issues at first? what type of controls are you using?

Thanks Matt, I work for a mechanical contracting company so I get materials at cost (I still have way to much money in the heating system but thats ok) There is plenty of pex in the house ( about 5,000 ft with the radiant ). How is your boiler coming along? Everytime I sign in I hope to see an update.

Futureboiler my draft issues were because of excess draft. my chimney is 45' tall, and when the boiler was up and running at temp the draft was crazy. I never had this problem before because I didn't have storage before, so the boiler only ran for a little while then everything was satisfied and it went into idle. Now it runs hard for hours. Eric suggested a cast iron hand damper and that did the trick. For controls I have a Tekmar 374 Universal reset control it has stage 1 (wood Boiler) Stage 2 (oil Boiler), 2 mix zones with outdoor reset, DHW. And soon to be added a Tekmar 156 differance setpoint controller for the tanks. On the wood boiler I have a honeywell digital triple acting aquastat and a johnson A419 as the o chit shut everything off but the pump control. And just a regular Taco switching relay to turn the radiant pumps on and off.

i thought that was a triple aquastat......so your wood boiler has completly seperate controls from your oil? thats what i am looking to do.

p.s - i just got my boiler delivered in case anyone was wondering. i got nervous that it didnt look like yours, took me a little while to figure out it isnt shipped with the skins on.

Both the wood and oil boilers recieve signals from the tekmar. If the wood boiler isn't 140 the triple acting aquastat will not turn the pump on, and if after 20 min. if the wood is not maintaining then the tekmar calls on stage two (the oil). Then when all zones are satisfied the tekmar shuts down. When I install the new tekmar 156 if the wood boiler is above 150 (or whatever I set it at) it will turn the pump on and circulate through the tanks.

you have waaaaaay too much going on there for me..sounds like you did your homework though, thats for sure.

now as near as i can figure from the manual on the new yorker, the draft fan will stay on long after the fire is out. is that the case?

You are correct on the fan it stays on. My plan is to buy a process controller to monitor stack temp, so when the stack temp falls below say 200 deg it will shut the fan off. When i start a fire i'll just have to open the ash door until the stack temp rising above 200.

BRL said:
Thanks Matt, I work for a mechanical contracting company so I get materials at cost (I still have way to much money in the heating system but thats ok) There is plenty of pex in the house ( about 5,000 ft with the radiant ). How is your boiler coming along? Everytime I sign in I hope to see an update.

Your welcome.... That is a very nice, professional looking setup though...... My looks sorta thrown together. :)

I have things to say, and I have time to say them about my boiler... I will update tonight! :)

i was thinking about having something for stack temp too....maybe even just a simple snap disk or something. i just dont like the idea of that fan staying on for hours after my fire has gone out, and before i can get to it.

Very nice room. I really like that small wooden chair in one of the pics. I too have one and use it often to sit and scratch my head when I have a "Gee, I thought I knew where I was going with that pipe" moment. Some call it Senior moments.

Again, very nice looking system.

Future, that is the problem I am having now I'll stoke the fire either at night before going to bed or in the morning before leaving for work and when the wood is out the fan just sits there and runs. Plus I also have stage 1 (wood boiler) jumped out at the tekmar so that pump stays running all the time also or until it hits low limit on the triple acting aquastat. If I didn't and all the zones in the house are satisfied the tekmar shuts everything down. Hopefully I'll have time to unstall the 156 control this weekend so if the 374 is satified and the wood boiler is cranking away the 156 will turn the pump on to heat the tanks. As it is right now when I go to bed (9:30-10:00) the tanks are around 170-175 with a full load of wood in the boiler, when I wake up they are around 140-145 with the fire out and no coals. So when I get the fan and pump working correctly I'll probably only lose 15-20 deg. So were getting there.

Thanks for the compliment Eric, a chair is a must. It's not just senior moments I'm 31 and I get them pretty regularly.

BRL, Nice clean pro install. Is the piping primary secondary ? Tough to see against the black mtg board. What is the board made of ? Nice vertical configuration on tanks, should get max strat outa them. How you gonna insulate em ?

Will

Great looking install I am glad you posted before insulating the lines..Do you get any water on your electric box at the bottom of the pumps when servicing the pumps or are the pumps away from the wall enough to not let that happen? Keep up the good work Thanks for taking pics and posting it it very helpful for us still installing..Dave

Thanks for the compliments. The mounting board is just 1/2" plywood painted black. The tanks are now insulated with 1 1/2" ductwrap. I did two layers first layer I did the foil facing in and the second layer with the foil facing out. It seems to work great. I lost 4 degrees in the tanks in 18 hours. The pumps are about 6+ inches from the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.