My Bride's a Keeper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I was out of town all last week when a cold snap hit home. I called my bride from the airport saying I would be home in a couple of hours. She said it was very cold and she couldn't wait for me to get home to get a fire going in the stove (VC Vigilant). She has never started a fire but I told her that she could do it. She reluctantly said "Okay, tell me how." I gave her a quick run down of how to load for a top down fire start:

1. Put two large splits in the bottom.
2. Put a few medium splits/sticks on top of the big ones.
3. Put several (10-12) tightly wadded newspaper balls on top of the wood.
4. Mix in several kindling sticks with the newspaper. (I keep a basket next to the stove of pencil sized sticks made from cedar fence posts.)
5. Make sure the damper handle is pointed TOWARD the door.
6. Light the newspaper.
7. Leave the front door open a crack until the fire gets going good.

I have given her previous training on how to quickly shut down the stove in case a fire gets away from her.

By the time I got home, the fire was blazing and the house was warming up.

I think I'll keep her another 40 years!

Reactions: Ashful
gee instead of all the paper and kindling get the super cedars avail thru here (search super cedars).best money you will ever spend! stick a quarter of one on the wood and walk away .
maybe she will stay the next 40 years (haha)

Reactions: Ashful
Newspaper and kindling is free.... and it works. What's not to like about that?

Reactions: ColdNH
I used newspaper until I found some types dont burn as well as others and small pieces of charred paper were begining to clop the cap at times. Supercedars, fatwood, or pine cones for now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.