my buck stove insert backs up when first building fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRITON20

Nov 13, 2009
NC
hey guys..... long time reader .... first time typer .... ha ha

my situation is this.... and yes i know i went the lazy mans way with the install .... but my fireplace is small and this was the smallest insert buck stove made and it barely fit the opening at the back.....

i bought a buck stove insert last year... the flue plate in my exterior masonry fireplace chimney was falling apart due to rust and so forth so i took it out...put insert in... put the front plates with isulation on the back side on the stove and even used sealer around where the plates screwed to the insert.... looks great and i am ready to start fire...by the way, my fireplace chimney is just fine only the flue plate was deteriorated after 19 yrs

start fire with newspaper and small pieces of kindling and almost immediately it starts billowing back into the room... no wind outside and damper is not there.... it may take 5 min. or so to get the insert/fireplace to start drafting upwards... when it finally does, it works great .... now i have a smokey smelling living room.... so what do i do about that billowing of smoke....

from what i have read, i figure my best bet is to cut a flue plate and at least put a pipe on top of insert that goes through the plate and up a few feet to get the heat and smoke to start rising up the chimney and the plate blocks the smoke from coming back through....

am i right or way off base...

At the very least you want to do what is called a "direct connect" which entails a pipe roughly 5 feet or so in length and running it from the stove up past the damper and into the chimney flue as far as you can, to create a good enough draft. You will also want to install a block of plate. Here is a link to why and how https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate/ Also, you may want to crack open a window so that you have positive air flow to the stove, and make sure you have enough heat to start the draft. A top down fire with the 5 knotted news papers should create enough heat to get the draft going.

You need to reverse the draft.

Your house is acting like a better chimney than your chimney is when it's cold. Short term fix is to use more paper to send a quick burst of hot air up the flue and send the draft going the right way. Long term fix is to seal up the little holes allowing air up into the attic. Weatherstripping the attic hatch and caulking the electrical boxes behind ceiling lights and fans will make a big difference.

Matt

Sounds like the lazy install has the lazy chimney. Following the manual's installation instructions should help it to perform better. That is unless the fireplace has a large throat. What is the dimension of the chimney tiles?

as far as following instructions for insert, one of the ways was just what i did.... if that doesnt work then use flue pipe... doesnt say anything about flue plate which i will b doing hopefully tomorrow... i dont know the sizr of the flue tiles... guess i can try to find out tomorrow even though flew opening is very small and hard to see up it

really appreciate all the advice .... i will try the top down fire and as far as drafts,,, i have got most all of them pretty well sealed up.... i will ck again around doors and windows as well

thanks again everyone... time for bed then a lot of work tomorrow......

Status
Not open for further replies.