My Bulk Fill photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
Took about 10 minutes a bag, once he figured out the supply air. After the hook up, the pellet flow was done by remote control from inside my basement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 499
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 507
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 588
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 489
Nice, how much did that set ya back?

Nice system. What brand of pellets do they use?

ETA, Just saw on the website,. So those are Vermont pellets at 265/ton AND delivered right into the basement?

SWEET

that sure beats 3 or 4 hundred trips up and down the basement stairs....

Awesome!!! I never knew you could have a setup like that.

Thanks all! Yeah, between the 300+ trips up and down the basement stairs, I'd rather go up the other stairs with my wife. He he......

Looks good. I know thers labor/time savings. Is there any money savings vs bagged?

Nice setup! Thanks for the pics.

Bill

Neat, is there a dust issue or do they vent the excess air back out? Cost?

The bags came from Heutz oil in Maine. Total for everything was about $500. They did have some bags (different model) but similar capacity on sale for around $ 79 bucks each..I missed the sale. I did have to have the two inlet holes drilled and that was another $100 bucks. The plywood and cinder blocks I already had. So yeah, it was expensive but.....whereas a lot of folks have the use of a pickup and some HD type stores will even fork lift them into the back, I have an SUV and most of the places I went for pellets last year won't help you at all as far as loading. So it's lift up...put on cart, lift up, put in car, lift up, put in garage, later....lift up put in basement, repeat many times!!! Hell, I'm an old fart, I will seek the path of least resistance! As far as dust, I learned a lesson.....the bags do breath, but some dust is created and unless you want to blow the bag like a balloon you have to keep one of the bag vents ( at the top) open to expel the dust, hence the dust on the top of the bag and a bit on the floor. The solution (for next time) is to hook up a dryer vent hose at the top and run 8' to my basement window to shoot out the excess dust. Now I just have to dream about the reverse house vac trick and shoot the pellets right into my hopper.

I'm in the process right now of building a pellet bin in the basement to hold 2 tons of pellets. This way the bulk guys can blow the pellets into the bin through a 4" PVC pipe. I've actually got 2 pipes like the OP does in case the truck has a vacuum piece to suck out any dust during the process. I have been taking pics during each step so I'll post my as well to share. The OP's setup is very nice. Mine will look like a closet once the basement is finished.

I'm in the process right now of building a pellet bin in the basement to hold 2 tons of pellets. This way the bulk guys can blow the pellets into the bin through a 4" PVC pipe. I've actually got 2 pipes like the OP does in case the truck has a vacuum piece to suck out any dust during the process. I have been taking pics during each step so I'll post my as well to share. The OP's setup is very nice. Mine will look like a closet once the basement is finished.
****I am no expert...but you don't want PVC...It creates static electricity which could result in a loud BOOM! Hopefully someone will chime in on this....at least thats what several bulk storage people have told me. My black rubber hoses have an anti-static liner in them. Also you need to ground your storage container(s)...again from the bulk storage people stress...Bill

Is that service available in Southeast N.H.?
Again price per ton?
And price for set-up?
NH....I don't know! My bags came from a Maine oil dealer (writings on the wall....) The owner said most of Maine has bulk fill service for those who want it! I would think NH would be the same. Vermont, lowest population now has bulk fill for the entire state.........but it's just one company with a lot of ground to cover.....I wish them well!!!!!

****I am no expert...but you don't want PVC...It creates static electricity which could result in a loud BOOM! Hopefully someone will chime in on this....at least thats what several bulk storage people have told me. My black rubber hoses have an anti-static liner in them. Also you need to ground your storage container(s)...again from the bulk storage people stress...Bill

that is correct.

I've never heard anyone mention this to me before, but that doesn't mean its not true. I could certainly line the interior of the PVC pipe with something anti-static. The reason I went with PVC is it will be in a location that I won't be able to very easily change out the pipe/hose if it were to damage over time. It will be framed around and there is closed-cell spray foam around it at the rim joist. Thanks for the heads up though, I will certainly look into that and making sure I ground the bin.

I've never heard anyone mention this to me before, but that doesn't mean its not true. I could certainly line the interior of the PVC pipe with something anti-static. The reason I went with PVC is it will be in a location that I won't be able to very easily change out the pipe/hose if it were to damage over time. It will be framed around and there is closed-cell spray foam around it at the rim joist. Thanks for the heads up though, I will certainly look into that and making sure I ground the bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.