My Burn Pot Extension Installed on Bosca Classic 500

Snowmobileaddict Posted By Snowmobileaddict, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:53 PM

  1. Snowmobileaddict

    Snowmobileaddict
    Member 2.
    NULL
    

    Oct 12, 2012
    96
    22
    Loc:
    Cedarburg, WI
    I found that my stove was allowing way to many pellets to end up in the ashpan when running. They would typically finder there way in the pan after taking a bounce off of the burnpot or having an odd tumble down the drop tube.

    In order to make sure the pellets land where they are supposed to I did this simple mod that I have read lots about people doing to other stoves on this messge board. I used 1/8" thick stainless plate and #10-24 cap head screws to get this done. The side extensions just slip into place and are captured by the burn pot and the burnpot liner. This mod adds nearly 2" of extension to the burn pot. After several cycles yesterday and today, I've got zero unburned pellets in the ashpan, just ash. Before doing this I would have had a couple handfulls in the pan!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Eatonpcat, kykel and smoke show like this.
  2. jtakeman

    jtakeman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Dec 30, 2008
    13,496
    1,572
    Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    X2
     
  3. DexterDay

    DexterDay
    Guest 2.
    NULL
    

    X3..

    Love a good mod to improve efficiency :)
     
  4. Eatonpcat

    Eatonpcat
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Jul 24, 2011
    2,070
    956
    Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
  5. Bioburner

    Bioburner
    Moderator 2.
    NULL
    
    Staff Member

    Aug 4, 2012
    6,892
    1,417
    Loc:
    West central Mn
    Snowmobileaddict, any other tips and tricks for the Bosca. I see some stoves for sale in Cheese land for cheap, My kind of heat
     
  6. imacman

    imacman
    Guest 2.
    NULL
    

    x4 may have to try that next summer....I get a lot of "bouncers" in the ash too.
     
  7. Snowmobileaddict

    Snowmobileaddict
    Member 2.
    NULL
    

    Oct 12, 2012
    96
    22
    Loc:
    Cedarburg, WI
    Yeah,
    I have done several mods including the burn pot extension.

    The first thing I did, before extending the burnpot was install 2 additional relays to control the amount of time the combustion blower stays on after my programmable thermostat opens and the stove completes a burn cycle.

    I connected a SPST relay to the leads that go to the combustion fan. That relay supplies the signal to another programmable countdown relay that is custom programmable to let the combustion fan run until the time interval I specify has elapsed.

    This is the programmable relay: MAGNECRAFT - TDRSRXB-120V

    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Magnecraft-Schneider-Electric/TDRSRXB-120V/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsG1k5vdNM/cyQK1BjUK3cd

    http://www.serelays.com/library/section5/105A_TDRSRX_TDRSOX.pdf

    I have this countdown relay set run the combustion fan for an additional 20 minutes beyond what the control board would have the combustion fan run for. This way after a burn cycle, the auger stops, the circulator fan runs for about 10 mins along with the combustion fan. After those 10 mins are up the stove control board shuts everything down, triggering the spst relay to open and that initiates the countdown on my programmable relay, allowing the combustion fan to run an additional 20 mins.

    I also did not like the gap around the heat exchanger tubes and the stove frame. The gap is not sealed, and this allows for some house air to bypass the OAK. In order to cut down on room air being sucked in through these gaps I placed high temp silicone o-rings around each of the seven heat exchanger tubes and slid them down into the gap. This nearly seals that gap completely and allows for more air to be drawn through the OAK and burn bot.
     
    Bioburner likes this.
  8. Bioburner

    Bioburner
    Moderator 2.
    NULL
    
    Staff Member

    Aug 4, 2012
    6,892
    1,417
    Loc:
    West central Mn
    What year of manufacture was your classic? I thought I saw that Bosca started sealing the tubes better in latter production.
     
  9. Snowmobileaddict

    Snowmobileaddict
    Member 2.
    NULL
    

    Oct 12, 2012
    96
    22
    Loc:
    Cedarburg, WI
    My stove is stamped November 2008 mfg.

    It is my understanding that the exchanger tubes are sealed on the larger Soul FS and insert models but open on the classics.

    The gap is small, 1/16th of an inch around each tube. I just figured it would be nice to minimize the air bypassing the burn pot. For 7 tubes that amounts to appx. a .6 square inch hole for air to bypass the burnpot before I added the orings.

    So far, I am 23 bags burned this season (this unit just heats our 700 s lower level we have a gas furnace for the rest of the house) and I am really happy with this stove. It runs awesome with somersets and the on off t stat function works excellent.

    I wouldn't hesitate buying this stove again for the $1000 I spent on it brand new.
     
  10. Bioburner

    Bioburner
    Moderator 2.
    NULL
    
    Staff Member

    Aug 4, 2012
    6,892
    1,417
    Loc:
    West central Mn
    Easy to get a fast return on your money on it even though you did a modification with that low of investment. I will have to put out abit more because of shipping on a dealers floor model.
     

Share This Page