My chimmny for my oil furnace with stove plans DONT SHOOT ME

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
Well im about to get a stove for my basement and was looking at throwing in a new liner into my existing chimmny that my oil furnace uses

i see its not to "code" but is it able to be done i was told that there is a damper that you can hook to the furnace exhaust that when its off it is motorized and it closes??

also heard of power venting yes no?

want to see if i can put 2 liners down my chimmny that would solve things right ?

my oil furnace isnt used much at all but at the same time i want to kinda be safe you know ?

are there ways with this

sorry for the "dumb" questions but i want to try to plan this the right way

I don't know much about the code, but I think two liners in the same casing is pretty common. The danger is smoke from one being pulled down the other, idle liner and getting into the house.

forgot to mention that rockford chimmey said i could actually do a liner in the chimmny connected to the stove and have the furnace exhausted into the chimmny around the liney if the chimmny is big enough is that a real option ?

Mroverkill said:
Well im about to get a stove for my basement and was looking at throwing in a new liner into my existing chimmny that my oil furnace uses

i see its not to "code" but is it able to be done i was told that there is a damper that you can hook to the furnace exhaust that when its off it is motorized and it closes??

also heard of power venting yes no?

want to see if i can put 2 liners down my chimmny that would solve things right ?

my oil furnace isnt used much at all but at the same time i want to kinda be safe you know ?

are there ways with this

sorry for the "dumb" questions but i want to try to plan this the right way

I would avoid using a common chimney for both units. Putting a liner inside inside the chimney if its allowed may be an option but I would think you would need a minimum flue size for each appliance. If there is room I would also think if one flue is appreciably longer than the other the chance of draft back down would be minimal. I am not sure how you would clean either one. I use a Field controls power venter like the one you linked to. They also make an automatic shut off damper for boilers. Either of these options have drawbacks as they are mechanical and can fail. They need a little maintenance-lubing the bearings a few times a year. My first one lasted maybe 10-12 years whch was longer than expected. The power venter is loud to me and you can smell fumes at times if it isn't placed right. It does use electrical power so expect the bill to be a little higher. The price listed also doesn't inlclude a control kit for a little less than have the power venter. Its probably your best option as far as safety.

I was just looking around and had a link to a Maine heating contractor which stated you can use a wood stove in the same flue however there could be draft problems. It sounds like its ok to do it here.

yea what im looking at doing is putting in the liner for the wood stove and then adding the power venter even though the furnace is like 2 feet from the outside wall so the power venter should be great

It sounds like your main question is about power venting the oil furnace and not about the wood stove liner. If so, you would get a more targeted response for that question in the boiler room or on an hvac forum. Power venting can be done, but it needs to be done correctly. We can help out with the liner question. To start with, describe the chimney, is it tile lined? What is the throat dimension? How tall is it?

From what I remember, it's better to do it with the higher efficiency furnaces. I don't know much about the SWG unit, though it could be fine. If you chose this brand, be sure to get the stainless steel model. Oil furnace exhaust is too hot for the aluminum model. Ask a few of the local oil companies or repair people what they like to install and why. Also ask about reliability. Tjernlund is often the brand used in this application and has a good reputation. You will want this carefully installed, paying attention to combustible clearances, with safety switches installed and tested. Also, the furnace will need to be retuned for this drafting system or the side of the house could get blackened. Tjerlund has a very nice system that cools down the gas and recoups some of the heat by returning it to the basement. I'd look closely at the Sideshot SS2.
http://www.tjernlund.com/oilsidewall.htm

Another alternative is looking at putting the stove where the heat is needed most. If this is the first floor, that would be worth thinking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.