My CL experience last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holzstapel

Burning Hunk
Jun 7, 2013
New Jersey
I found this ad on craigs yesterday:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"bought a house with a lot of wood in the basement that you can have.

email me for address

I will be there tonight at 5:00-6:30 (7/31/13)

leave a phone number and ill text you

easy access to wood by truck
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I emailed the poster and asked what type of wood and how much there was. They replied back that they didnt know what type of wood it was, and there is "about a truck load". In order for me to get to this location by the time he specified, I had to leave work early. I also signed out a pickup truck from work because mine was at home and I wouldnt have time to get it. Sooooo, I head up there to this tiny fixer-uper on the lake. I meet the owner and he opens the basement door and says "there it is, it's been picked through already". Inside this recently walled in carport that he is calling a basement was about a wheelbarrels worth of kindling and a bunch of construction debris. Thankfully I was alone, if my wife had been there she would have told the guy off and we would have left. I took all the kindling, told the owner that I couldnt use the construction debris and wished him luck.

On my way there I had dreams of bone dry oak already split and ready for burning. On my way home I was shaking my head and cracking myself up.

Ya win some, ya lose some...

Never go to pick up "firewood" without a picture. Some people try to get rid of construction debris, old pressure treated fences, wood flooring, lattice, trim, etc......

Never go to pick up "firewood" without a picture. Some people try to get rid of construction debris, old pressure treated fences, wood flooring, lattice, trim, etc......

Great advice. The fever had me and I overlooked this. Of course it crossed my mind on the way home.

Reactions: chvymn99
OH man lol. I always ask for pics now.

Well did u ask him if there ever was more e

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Well did u ask him if there ever was more e

I assumed there was when he said "its already been picked through" When he said that to me and I saw what was left I said "uhh yeah it looks that way".

Part of me wanted to just leave, but I'm too nice of a guy most of the time. I also had a company truck with the company name all over it...

Reactions: chvymn99
I assumed there was when he said "its already been picked through" When he said that to me and I saw what was left I said "uhh yeah it looks that way".

Part of me wanted to just leave, but I'm too nice of a guy most of the time. I also had a company truck with the company name all over it...
You handled it well, I think. Water under the bridge at that point, might as well grab a few sticks. ;)

Reactions: Holzstapel
"Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you're gonna get."

LOL, love the fence one

I was on line for a bunch of cinder blocks for free. The agreed to hold them a few days. When I got back to them they some some were gone. I never went because I knew the only ones left were the ones nobody wanted. Got a bunch of new ones a week later for $.20 each. First person called me back a couple weeks later to see if I would take them. I asked if there were all broken and they said "yes". Big suprise.
Only firewood I would chase would have to be close, as in a few blocks. Nice to have a tree service to work with. Wood spilling out of the back yard.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.