my cl free wood score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

notshubby

Mar 26, 2015
constantia ny
last weekend I saw an add for some free wood mostly maple small stuff average size was 4 inch diameter. but it was free and 5 miles away so I went and picked it up. figured at least 3 16" face cord.

this weekend that just went by I was sitting there sat afternoon on the computer when I stumbled across another add for a free maple tree a tree service had dropped cause it was split and leaning toward his house about 15 miles away. the tree service agreed to take the butt log at no charge cause they dropped it one piece and hit the corner of the porch and knocked a cpl boards off and broke a piece of lattice from his description of the damage he seemed like he was more than happy with that arrangement. it was about 5 1/2 foot diameter at the stump and ide say 10 to12footlong. but the rest they left down and on the ground. he told me on the phone he had posted an add b4 and a cpl of older guys had said they wanted it all. I guess they came out a few days cut some of the smaller stuff and took a few pickup truck loads out and quit coming. but there was still maybe 4 to 5 face cord left.

so I went over with saws in car and trailer and told him I would start cutting right away. asked him if it was alright if I backed the trailer onto his lawn to get off the road and closer to some of the bigger chunks and that my first load would be to clear a spot and try to get into the first crotch piece which they left right on his sidewalk about 6 feet long and about 40 inches across at the narrowest point. so I cut 1 trailer load and loaded it up and b4 I left told him I would be back the next day. I was a little worried I couldn't make it all the way through cause my big saws only have 20 inch bars on them.(I need to keep my eyes open for a deal on a longer bar for my 066) went back sunday cut the big one and started working toward the other side. took 4 loads out on my trailer and my dad showed up and helped with some of the cutting and put 2 light loads in his pickup. hes 63 so I told him if he ran the saw and blocked them down I would doall the loading and any rolling he needed ect.

so I figure I got 5 face cord over the weekend and the homeowner said I was doing a great job so if I wanted to come back for the rest this weekend coming up he would take down the add even though he was getting a lot of calls on it. since I started with the biggest stuff and didn't take the easy stuff and leave the huge pieces and that I was hauling it out a lot faster than he had imagined when I showed up with a car and small 4x8 trailer. my guess is there is still another 5 to 6 face cord left out the the 4 or 5 face cord he said he thought was left lol.

Attachments

• 101_0639.JPG
    101_0639.JPG
    488.4 KB · Views: 479
  • 101_0640.JPG
    101_0640.JPG
    484 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Good hit!

homeowner said I was doing a great job so if I wanted to come back for the rest this weekend coming up he would take down the add even though he was getting a lot of calls on it.

Nice score. Even better, nice work ethic. You've left the homeowner with no reason to take a chance on unknown people. Enjoy your reward.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Lots of noodling in that first pic.

I used to block everything and roll it to the splitter. now that im older I find myself noodling them down into small enough pieces to load on trailer without having to roll them to it and winch them up on. the rounds you see are like 16 18 inchers the 20 on up or so I noodle down.

Man, that's a nice load of wood there, great job!

I'd love to look out back and see a beautiful tree line like you have there.....

well I got it all home yesterday overestimated the amount left as there was more brush under the wood on that side.so less noodling and more small stuff. still hauled out about 4 fc. split all from the first load during the week. put this weeks in that spot

Attachments

• 101_0641.JPG
    101_0641.JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 101_0642.JPG
    101_0642.JPG
    463 KB · Views: 166
Man, that's a nice load of wood there, great job!

I'd love to look out back and see a beautiful tree line like you have there.....

the side yard view isn't as nice as the backyard the rows are already stacked back there lol.

hard to get a good pic very overcast today.

Attachments

• 101_0643.JPG
    101_0643.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 101_0644.JPG
    101_0644.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.