My Clydesdale, installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbernD

Hi guys. I just thought I'd share a pic of the Clydesdale that I had installed late last year.

I managed to find a slab of sandstone that I liked for the hearth (local quarry) and filled area behind behind the slab with mortar to provide a level base. I embedded an electrical cord behind the slab and into the cement, so no exposed cords for the fan. I built the mantle and surrounds out of poplar. It was close enough to need a shield. Got a buddy of mine to bend a piece of steel.

I have to say, compared to the woodstove that I grew up with (steel stove, unlined chimney, buck clone) this thing burns so well and air control is very simple. And it drafts SOOOO much better than the open fireplace. It does take a little more time to heat up than I expected but if I leave the door cracked after lighting it burns fast enough to crank out coals in a reasonable amount of time.

I appreciate all of your advice and reviews on here. I'm a happy customer.

..dave

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 897
Boy that's a nice looking stove. I like the view on the center screen the best.

My only concern is what looks like a rug right under the stove. If it is a rug, that should go.

Do you mean on the hearth? Yep, it's a rug. Crappy one at that. It's difficult to find one that fits. I would also prefer that it not be there but the sandstone can't be sealed without looking like crap.. I was trying to keep it from becoming an ash magnet. Any alternative ideas?

Very nice setup. You might try using Door Gasket (Rope) tucked just under the edge, across the front of the stove.
I used this on a pellet stove install I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.