my current hole in the wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatdonkey

Dec 15, 2014
West Norriton, PA
So i was looking into a fireplace insert. I was also turned onto the possibility of installing a wood stove in the fireplace instead. I cant wait to begin using the "hole" efficiently. The dimensions of the opening are 32" tall X 37 1/4" wide. I would like to rely on wood to heat my 1800 sq ft tri level home, with the natural gas furnace to assist when needed. Since the idea of a stove arose yesterday, i have looked at the VC Encore 2in1 and the Defiant. The Defiant will be a tight side to side fit.

Anybody have any recommendations for a wood stove that would fit in these dimensions? Any help or reviews of something that could be used in this location would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone installed a wood stove in a masonry fireplace?

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Attachments

• 1419465369734.jpg
    1419465369734.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 243
Check out Jotul stoves. They make a good selection of rear exit. Also the Quadra Fire Isle Royale. Keep in mind you'll also need to install a liner with the new stove, as well as cap, block off plate, and some sort of insulation (unless this is an interior chimney)

Reactions: phatdonkey
It will be close, but some stoves will fit. VC stoves will work, but caveat emptor, they will require more maintenance and parts replacement within 3-5 yrs. There are other options.

There are quite a few people that installed a wood stove in their fireplace. Either a rear-vented stove in front of it or a top-vented stove when the fireplace height is sufficient. 32" is borderline enough for both depending on the model. You may still need to extend the hearth in front, though. Vermont Castings stoves don't have the best reputation here because they are maintenance intensive, had problems with customer support, and are often higher priced than similar stoves. They just changed ownership (again) so there is a possibility those will be problems of the past. Still, it will probably take some time until you get a recommendation for a VC stove here.

Based on your selection, I assume you like the look of a cast-iron stove. Potential alternatives are:
Jotul F55; maybe also the Jotul F600 but that works better as a sideloader which may be tough if you want to push it further into the fireplace.
Pacific Energy T6
Quadrafire Explorer 2
Hearthstone Manchester (may also be better loaded from the side; check the threads about the stove here)
Enviro Boston 1700

There are also other, more plain steel stoves that would cost quite a bit less like the Englander 30NC that would fit. Or soapstone stoves like the Woodstock Progress Hybrid. Most of those options would be relatively tight fits. Check with your dealer/installer how well they feel your preferred choice could be put in.

Do you have any dry wood yet?

Thanks guy.

Clay, I really like the idea of a setup like yours. I have heard and read all good things about jotul and i will be installing a liner cap and block off plate.

Begreen, I have read about the parts that are needed for replacement with the Encore and dont want to be shelling out more dough every few years just to keep things right.

Grisu, wood....i have about one face cord of dry something. I will have to take some photos and post them in the wood identifier. We bought our house in May and i had to do quite a bit of work during the summer and didnt have time to gather enough for this season. My wifes uncle has 18 acres at my disposal. Im just not sure what type.of trees they are. The face cord i do have is from his place. So i have some but not enough for this year. Ill start in the spring hauling up to his place and cutting and splitting. Im going tonlook at each of your recommendations and see what i can work with.

Doing all the work with my brothers i want to keep the cost between 3 and 4k. Im starting to believe the VC may be off the list. I have gone rogue in the past with underdog things and always get burned. I will update with a choice when it happens and thanks for the info so far.

The species of the wood isn't nearly as important as the moisture content of it. EPA stoves simply won't burn correctly, or effectively unless the wood is dry. This isn't specific to any single manufacturer - All EPA stoves will act similar.

I have a hearthstone shelburne, it can be configured as a top or rear exit. It will just fit in a 32" Tall opening. I have mine setup half way into the fireplace opening with it setup as a rear vent directly into a T. I could have put it all the way in but it makes it super easy to clean to just pull off the cap on the bottom of the t and sweep.

Ok. So i have decided on the Jotul F500 Oslo. I need to make one mod before it can be put in though. I need to extend the hearth about 18 inches because i want the stove to be fully outside the fireplace now and rear exited.

I have a plan for it but i need the name of a material i heard of. It starts with an M i believe. Its a hearth underlayment. Cant for the life of me remember what it is. I saw it somewhere in the forums here but have forgotten.

Im going to remover the current brick hearth and level the area to the same height as the hardwood. Then attach the M material to the floor and hardy backer over that, then tile to the wifes delight.

If i am correct, the Oslo just requires ember protection correct? I would just be using the "m" and hardy backer, with the tile, to raise the current floor to the height of the firebox floor for a nice level hearth to firebox.

Let me know if anyone sees flaws in my plan or better ideas. Thanks.

If it helps you can leave the back 6-8" inside the fireplace without a lot of heating compromise and still use the side door. The main thing to watch will be mantel clearances:

Mantel and trim
Stove to 1” thick or less, side trim 12” clearances
Stove to 1” thick or less, top trim 16”
Stove to mantel- maximum mantel depth of 12” requires 30”

You may be thinking of Micore. However, you don't need it for the Oslo. Ember protection is enough, meaning tile over hardibacker will be sufficient.

Thanks guys.

The current fireplace surround is going to be removed and the mantle will be raised to meet the stoves requirements. Im looking online now for a decent mantle anchoring setup. Not that it will be holding a ton of weight but im not sure what material i will be using for it yet.

Good to know about the tile over hardibacker.

Also, Micore was the material i was thinking of. Thanks again gentelmen.

Thanks guys.

The current fireplace surround is going to be removed and the mantle will be raised to meet the stoves requirements. Im looking online now for a decent mantle anchoring setup. Not that it will be holding a ton of weight but im not sure what material i will be using for it yet.

Enjoy the Oslo, and I told you these guys were a wealth of knowledge!

I prefer tile over 1/2" Durock NexGen. it provides a 67% increase in insulation with little extra cost and there is no cellulose in Durock.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Good luck with your Oslo. I will be getting one next year.

Let me know how you like that stove. I was also looking at the Jotul F500.

Post some photos when she's all set up!

That's a nice looking stove. It's great you have the room and your wife likes it. I had neither. :( It should turn out great.

Ill definitely post pics when she is all installed ntomsw.

Velvetfoot, luckily the wife lets me do most things i want. She especially knows that during trout season im almost never home. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.