My dad now wants to get a wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CantAfford$5Oil said:
Hi Stanley John,

Would you be kind enough to share with me what type of mantle you have on top of the stove in your picture? My set up is almost just like yours with the square blue stones and raised hearth (my raised hearth portion is capped by brick though). I may have to remove the wood mantle and replace with a non-combustible one to meet clearance code. I'm trying to decide what to replace it with - thinking bluestone. I was hoping to see your fireplace including the mantle - it is very pretty and I like what I can see in your picture! Thanks if you can!!

PS- I hope your dad's install gets finished soon and he is happy in the end. We are considering the exact same insert. Good Luck!

Here is a before and after pic of my setup.I have a harman insert!dad didn't get one like mine because of alittle too big for his fireplace.I had plenty of open space for my installation!I have been reading your threads!hope you find what your looking for.I will take a pic of my dads regency I2400 when installation is complete.

Attachments

• IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 314
Stan... now I can see your insert better than possible in your avatar, nice looking an large looking too. How big is the fire box? Looks like it could be in the 3 cuft range. It also appears from the visible end-irons (or whatever I see through the glass) that your logs go in North South, not East West, the way my old slammer worked. My quadrafire, in fact all quadrafire inserts require logs go in E/W.

Jerry_NJ said:
Stan... now I can see your insert better than possible in your avatar, nice looking an large looking too. How big is the fire box? Looks like it could be in the 3 cuft range. It also appears from the visible end-irons (or whatever I see through the glass) that your logs go in North South, not East West, the way my old slammer worked. My quadrafire, in fact all quadrafire inserts require logs go in E/W.

Hello Jerry! My firebox is 2.6 cuft!Its more wide than deep so i put my logs e/w.The harman is abit different than others!Its considered a downdraft wood stove (Has a after burner in the back instead of tubes on top for the secondary burn.

Stan.. seems I've got the jargon wrong/backwards. N/S must be with the logs pointing in/out of the fireplace and E/W is from left to right side, like most open hearth fireplaces are loaded. That being the case the Quadrafire inserts are all N/S, not E/W. Hope I remember this time, thanks.

Stanleyjohn:
Your room setup is similar to what mine will be. How comfortable is it to hang out in that room and watch TV with the stove running? I have purchased a Jotul C550. I followed the idea that you can always burn a smaller fire in a big stove, if you need to...

Looking forward to your comments. Thanks.

gibson said:
Stanleyjohn:
Your room setup is similar to what mine will be. How comfortable is it to hang out in that room and watch TV with the stove running? I have purchased a Jotul C550. I followed the idea that you can always burn a smaller fire in a big stove, if you need to...

Looking forward to your comments. Thanks.

I haven't had much burn time yet (4 times) but when i had it going laying on the couch it didnt get too hot!! I would say upper 70s.Since my first floor is pretty open and have a good open area to the 2nd floor!the heat disperses very well.Here is a basic floor plan of my home.

Attachments

• our home.jpg
    our home.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 259
  • our home1.jpg
    our home1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 252
Thanks Stanleyjohn! It looks great and is very helpful in trying to decide on our options... Looks like a nice comfy room, and I love the floor! Thanks very much for sharing!

I just got off the phone with my dad and the installation of his Regency I2400 wood insert is done.I dont know all the details but the installers ended up putting in a partial ss liner!They told him that his fireplace would make it very hard to put in a full liner.He will be be getting some $$ back because of the partial ss vs the full.A block off plate was added to the bottom for a seal and my dad already had a chimney cap installed so that didn't need to be done.I guess the partial goes up maybe 6 feet and the stove will have to be moved out when cleaning needs to be done.I will take some pics when i visit him.

I'm not sure of NJ Clinton Township code, but the partial may not meet code here. I believe it works fairly well and is a big improvement over what I replaced, a "slammer" that just dumped directly into the firebox of the fireplace. It worked, but boy did it ever produce a lot of creosote over the years. I was told that it had resulted in some "small" chimney fires too, told to me my a licensed chimney service. They were not trying to sell me anything, even though they are also a Quad dealer. I think the stub liner is much, much better. Bet it works great, and if run hot may not produce too much creosote.

Went to my parents today and took a few pics of his new wood stove.Hes alittle pisst that its abit off centered!Installers will be back soon to center it!I'm surprised they didn't notice it when the did the job (note!! dad wasn't home when the install was done and mom just let them do their job and didn't notice).In the fall i will help dad put some ceramic tile in front for clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 257
Nice looking stove. Mom and Dad are headed for a warm house this coming winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.