1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

My dealer said...

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by MommyOf4, Jan 29, 2013.

1. MommyOf4

MommyOf4 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern MD
    We had to unplug the unit to hard reset it and my husband jumped the thermostat. How do I turn it off once I plug it in and it starts? Won't it keep running?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    remove the jumper wire to shut it down. How has it been working?
  3. saladdin

saladdin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Tennessee
    That is not programmable and does not have a swing from what I see which would eat your burner up like crazy. Mine is programmable has atleast a 2 (think 3) swing and is $10 cheaper.

Lowe's says it will work:
    Use with Pellet Stove for mV Thermostats Yes
  4. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    I donot use a thermostat but have read on here that some people use the LUX 1500 you can look into that? But before you buy anything. Do what kinsmanstoves suggests and remove the wires for the t stat and add the jumper and let the stove run for a while and when you want to turn it off remove the jumper. I see your husband did that but DID IT WORK ? If that did nt work changing the stat will not do anything except give you a new T stat.
  5. saladdin

Loc:
    West Tennessee
    Maybe the wires running from stat to stove are damaged?
  6. glenc0322

Loc:
    long Island NY
    thats why you add the jumper at the stove first. if that works twist the wires at the stat if that works you know its the T stat. and if that works sit back watch the fire and have a beverage
  7. saladdin

Loc:
    West Tennessee
    Gotcha. I thought you were jumping at the stove itself and not the wires directly at the stat. Your way is much smarter. Thanks. Logging that in case I ever need to troubleshoot.
  8. glenc0322

Loc:
    long Island NY
    Its always you best bet to start to trouble shoot at the source and work your way out. I am an electrician and always work from the panel out its the same principle with your stove or anything with a problem
  9. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    My husband forgot the the jumper wire again so he just twisted the Tstat wire. Can I untwist it while the stove is running to shut it down?

EDIT: I just called my husband and he said to make sure I untwist it with some special gloves that he has.

It's on and feeding pellets now.
  10. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    I haven't plugged in the stove yet. I wanted to to be up to watch it and find out how to shut it down.
  11. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    It fed the initial pellets, lit up, but no more feeding and also the reset doesn't work.
  12. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    We are going on the third visit for this issue. SMH
  13. glenc0322

Loc:
    long Island NY
    You can just untwist them. But you should be doing it at the stove to make sure there is nothing wrong with the wire from the stove
  14. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    Yeah. It's usually about a week/2 week wait. He said if he gets a cancellation then he will fit me in. They are nice people though...and I haven't had to pay for anything yet either.
  15. saladdin

Loc:
    West Tennessee
    I'm not a smart guy but mine would drop pellets, initial light would occur, pellets burned, no more pellets drop, fire went out. I did the washer trick on the door and no issues since. No idea if I got lucky or just a vacuum issue.
    kinsmanstoves likes this.
  16. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    Doesn't this mean the swing :
    High/Low Desired Temperature Limits Yes

I need a simple thermostat since I am not the most mechanically inclined. LOL
  17. imacman

imacman Guest

At this point in your odyssey with this stove, I'd be asking the dealer to swap you another stove while they take yours back to their shop to find out whats wrong. Even if they gave you a demo unit that they know works, it would be an improvement on what you're going through.
  18. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    The thermostat in my sig is at Home Depot and works great with a swing up to 3 degrees.
  19. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    I was thinking about asking them to give us a new one period, since it seems everything is going downhill. It just seems easier on them and us.
  20. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD

Can you put it on manual mode to just turn it on and off? The programables are too confusing for me.

Edit: We used to have a Ritetemp Tstat at our house and someone told us they are no longer in business. They were bought out by Filtrete.
  21. gfreek

gfreek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful Attica/Varysburg,New York
    My god the frustration you must be going through... I really hope this all gets worked out for you and don't be afraid to ask for a another stove...enough already..
  22. MommyOf4

Loc:
    Southern MD
    Thank you!
  23. saladdin

Loc:
    West Tennessee
    Not sure what you're asking. But the one you linked to does not have an adjustable swing. Looks like a built in 1 degree which means the stove will be clicking on and off every degree which will (in my opinion) burn the ignitor out in no time.

Spend the same money, get a programmable one (which will save you pellets) and enjoy the heat.
  24. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    That's possible because the Filtrete looks just like my Ritetemp. I saw the Ritetemp on the HD site when I posted that.
  25. mascoma

mascoma Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Upper Valley NH
    I feel bad for this dealer...