My dealer said...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heatilators have had an issue with the thermostats. I told her yesterday to unhook the wires at the unit and run a jumper. Let the unit run for a while to see what happens.

We had to unplug the unit to hard reset it and my husband jumped the thermostat. How do I turn it off once I plug it in and it starts? Won't it keep running?

remove the jumper wire to shut it down. How has it been working?

I'm thinking about getting the Honeywell RTHL3550D1006 model since it has a swing and I can get i tsomewhat locally.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_356346-7449...ts-_-3464342&CAWELAID=1023584611&"cagpspn=pla"

Would this work with a CAB50?

That is not programmable and does not have a swing from what I see which would eat your burner up like crazy. Mine is programmable has atleast a 2 (think 3) swing and is $10 cheaper.

Lowe's says it will work:
Use with Pellet Stove for mV Thermostats Yes

That is not programmable and does not have a swing from what I see which would eat your burner up like crazy. Mine is programmable has atleast a 2 (think 3) swing and is $10 cheaper.

I donot use a thermostat but have read on here that some people use the LUX 1500 you can look into that? But before you buy anything. Do what kinsmanstoves suggests and remove the wires for the t stat and add the jumper and let the stove run for a while and when you want to turn it off remove the jumper. I see your husband did that but DID IT WORK ? If that did nt work changing the stat will not do anything except give you a new T stat.

I donot use a thermostat but have read on here that some people use the LUX 1500 you can look into that? But before you buy anything. Do what kinsmanstoves suggests and remove the wires for the t stat and add the jumper and let the stove run for a while and when you want to turn it off remove the jumper. I see your husband did that but DID IT WORK ? If that did nt work changing the stat will not do anything except give you a new T stat.

Maybe the wires running from stat to stove are damaged?

Maybe the wires running from stat to stove are damaged?
thats why you add the jumper at the stove first. if that works twist the wires at the stat if that works you know its the T stat. and if that works sit back watch the fire and have a beverage

thats why you add the jumper at the stove first. if that works twist the wires at the stat if that works you know its the T stat. and if that works sit back watch the fire and have a beverage

Gotcha. I thought you were jumping at the stove itself and not the wires directly at the stat. Your way is much smarter. Thanks. Logging that in case I ever need to troubleshoot.

Gotcha. I thought you were jumping at the stove itself and not the wires directly at the stat. Your way is much smarter. Thanks. Logging that in case I ever need to troubleshoot.
Its always you best bet to start to trouble shoot at the source and work your way out. I am an electrician and always work from the panel out its the same principle with your stove or anything with a problem

My husband forgot the the jumper wire again so he just twisted the Tstat wire. Can I untwist it while the stove is running to shut it down?

EDIT: I just called my husband and he said to make sure I untwist it with some special gloves that he has.

It's on and feeding pellets now.

It fed the initial pellets, lit up, but no more feeding and also the reset doesn't work.

My husband forgot the the jumper wire again so he just twisted the Tstat wire. Can I untwist it while the stove is running to shut it down?

EDIT: I just called my husband and he said to make sure I untwist it with some special gloves that he has.

It's on and feeding pellets now.
You can just untwist them. But you should be doing it at the stove to make sure there is nothing wrong with the wire from the stove

geez, and at that he makes you wait for an appt to i bet?

Yeah. It's usually about a week/2 week wait. He said if he gets a cancellation then he will fit me in. They are nice people though...and I haven't had to pay for anything yet either.

It fed the initial pellets, lit up, but no more feeding and also the reset doesn't work.

I'm not a smart guy but mine would drop pellets, initial light would occur, pellets burned, no more pellets drop, fire went out. I did the washer trick on the door and no issues since. No idea if I got lucky or just a vacuum issue.

Reactions: kinsmanstoves

Doesn't this mean the swing :
High/Low Desired Temperature Limits Yes

I need a simple thermostat since I am not the most mechanically inclined. LOL

At this point in your odyssey with this stove, I'd be asking the dealer to swap you another stove while they take yours back to their shop to find out whats wrong. Even if they gave you a demo unit that they know works, it would be an improvement on what you're going through.

The thermostat in my sig is at Home Depot and works great with a swing up to 3 degrees.

At this point in your odyssey with this stove, I'd be asking the dealer to swap you another stove while they take yours back to their shop to find out whats wrong. Even if they gave you a demo unit that they know works, it would be an improvement on what you're going through.

I was thinking about asking them to give us a new one period, since it seems everything is going downhill. It just seems easier on them and us.

The thermostat in my sig is at Home Depot and works great with a swing up to 3 degrees.

Can you put it on manual mode to just turn it on and off? The programables are too confusing for me.

Edit: We used to have a Ritetemp Tstat at our house and someone told us they are no longer in business. They were bought out by Filtrete.

My god the frustration you must be going through... I really hope this all gets worked out for you and don't be afraid to ask for a another stove...enough already..

Doesn't this mean the swing :
High/Low Desired Temperature Limits Yes

I need a simple thermostat since I am not the most mechanically inclined. LOL

Not sure what you're asking. But the one you linked to does not have an adjustable swing. Looks like a built in 1 degree which means the stove will be clicking on and off every degree which will (in my opinion) burn the ignitor out in no time.

Spend the same money, get a programmable one (which will save you pellets) and enjoy the heat.

Can you put it on manual mode to just turn it on and off? The programables are too confusing for me.

Edit: We used to have a Ritetemp Tstat at our house and someone told us they are no longer in business. They were bought out by Filtrete.
That's possible because the Filtrete looks just like my Ritetemp. I saw the Ritetemp on the HD site when I posted that.

I feel bad for this dealer...

Status
Not open for further replies.