My dilemma purchasing new stove.....oh wife..!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
I was pretty much inclined/focused with the Enviro M55.

Talked to wifey to let her know the plan and showed her a picture on the web.....she goes "arrrgg, that M55 is not that nice....I like the looks of this Quad Classic Bay 1200 and this other Enviro Meridian here, look at the difference, more glass on the side.....and these are cheaper too, why you want to spend more when you can get either of these 2 other units cheaper?"

I replied with the reason but she's not convinced.....

Classic Bay:
http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Classic-Bay-1200-Pellet-Stove.aspx?page=Specifications#

Meridian:
http://www.enviro.com/images/pellet/pellet-fs-introduction/Meridian-pellet-stove.jpg

M55:
http://www.enviro.com/images/pellet/M55-with-logset.png

Sigh......help me out here.....!!

Wifey 1 geek 0 :)

I would stress the savings you could get with shoulder pellets. Plus much less time searching for decent pellets and running from here to there getting samples to find out if the stove likey them there new pellets you just found! And how much more honey do list items you could complete, Instead of cleaning and fussing with the stove. The good old it will grow on you honey worked for me and the Omega. But the Omega was a step up from my bigE. You could also try the "Honey if I have to leave town for a while this stove would only need to be feed pellets until I get back from my trip" or The quad and the Meridian don't come with the free lifetime multifuel club membership! This is the stove I want and thats what we will get!(make sure the dog house is ready for you to move into before said!) :)

You could also show here the new M55 cast version. Same BTU output from a much nicer looking stove. Same multifuel features too! But maybe even more $$$!

But I have a good feeling geek will lose and end up getting the meridian(or clone) or quad! Put I personnally would put up a big hissy fit. Sometimes looks need to be over looked for quality and runability!

I found out I wear the pants in my house, But my wife tells me which ones to wear and what day I need to wear them! Sigh! :lol:

geek has already lost and the doghouse was relocated to the manure pile behind the neighbors barn.

Poor geek.

you could tell her you will also upgrade the house to look like the photo of the M55. Much nicer than the others.

What is your reason for wanting the Enviro ? Multi-Fuel ?

I was a little less than impressed with the initial quality of the CB1200 in some minor ways but it has been great for 2 full seasons heating my house 100% 24/7.

One argument you could use against the CB1200 is their lousy OAK design. If you intend to use an OAK I'd recommend avoiding the CB1200

cncpro said:

I was a little less than impressed with the initial quality of the CB1200 in some minor ways but it has been great for 2 full seasons heating my house 100% 24/7.

One argument you could use against the CB1200 is their lousy OAK design. If you intend to use an OAK I'd recommend avoiding the CB1200

I will use OAK.

geek said:
cncpro said:

I will use OAK.

Wasn't one of your original choices a Harman P43? I don't see the M55 being any worse looking.

Buying a stove that just looks nice is a poor idea. We have seen some stoves that are copys of the good kind and look like a good buy. After you get it home and try to use it it becomes apparent that you get what you paid for.
Talk to owners of the stoves you are looking at. You will get a lot more honest answers from someone who has owned one then a salesman who is selling you one that looks cute.
As a example if you looked at the Quadrafire AE you would say it looks exactly like the St Croix Green Field. There is also a chinese version out there that looks identical. But look inside the cast iron and you will see three complete different stoves.
Five years ago the top price stove was around 3800.00 with most stoves at 28-3,000.$ Nowdays with the gov basically giving a 30% rebate there is no use going cheap because after all these stoves are supposed to pay for themselves.
If you are going to have to pay a dealer to clean it for you every year the payback will take longer.

j-takeman said:
geek said:
cncpro said:

I will use OAK.

Wasn't one of your original choices a Harman P43? I don't see the M55 being any worse looking.

yup, she didn't like it either.....

Just arrived today - The new M55 Cast - painted. I am loving this stove. List price $3,449.00 Everything on this stove is top shelf - magnets hold the door - very powerful. Fit and finish is awesome.

Attachments

• M55 CAST.jpg
    M55 CAST.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 704
I wouldn't buy a new Quad CB1200. They are currently made in CHINA. The M55 looks like a better unit with higher BTU output. In my opinion, Quad has sold their factory staff out to Chinese underpaid robots!!!

My 2 cents worth.

AR

pelletdude said:
Just arrived today - The new M55 Cast - painted. I am loving this stove. List price $3,449.00 Everything on this stove is top shelf - magnets hold the door - very powerful. Fit and finish is awesome.

Enviro is so committed to Quality Control they included in the paperwork with the new 55 Cast a separate statement " New Quality Control Procedure M55C " To our valued customer, In an effort to provide better customer service, we are implementing a New Quality Control Procedure on the M55 Cast Unit. We would appreciate any feedback you may have. If you experience any problems with this unit or if there are any items missing, PLEASE call or email our Operation Manager directly at the contact information listed below." All of his info is then listed.

IMO - Enviro has just become a very serious player in the stove business and I am glad to represent their product.

ARGlock said:
I wouldn't buy a new Quad CB1200. They are currently made in CHINA. The M55 looks like a better unit with higher BTU output. In my opinion, Quad has sold their factory staff out to Chinese underpaid robots!!!

My 2 cents worth.

AR

I thought that ALL manufacturers get their parts from CHINA, just the assembly is done here or Canada.

pelletdude said:

like jay said, a bit pricey....

The M55 looks exactly like the Quad Mt Vernan AE, the St Croix Green Field and the chinese look alike. I wonder if they buy the casting from the same place? I like that traditional look.

rona said:
The M55 looks exactly like the Quad Mt Vernan AE, the St Croix Green Field and the chinese look alike. I wonder if they buy the casting from the same place? I like that traditional look.

I like the look of the M55 Cast too. I think Vermont Casting made the M55 cast portion but I'm not sure if it is made here in the U.S.. Maybe someone on this forum knows this answer? I do think the M55 will work better than the AE since it does not have to go through the cleaning "shutdown" cycles of the AE.

AR

If memory serves right The castings for the Quad AE were done by some other country who was reknowned for top quality products. I don't think that meant China. However the electric boards were made in China. Back when I owned one we seemed to get a updated board every month hoping to cure the ailments. I jokingly mentioned to the dealer that the chinese should get it right pretty soon. About got my head chewed off for saying that. I removed the board from the stove and in one corner it had a label with Bejing printed on it. Fun to have the last laugh.
I was told the Harmans were made in the USA, St Croix and Bixby as well probably more but after 2006 the various companies tried making them over seas. Some models I remember AES had one that they had problems with and I am sure other companies did too.

rona said:
If memory serves right The castings for the Quad AE were done by some other country who was reknowned for top quality products. I don't think that meant China. However the electric boards were made in China. Back when I owned one we seemed to get a updated board every month hoping to cure the ailments. I jokingly mentioned to the dealer that the chinese should get it right pretty soon. About got my head chewed off for saying that. I removed the board from the stove and in one corner it had a label with Bejing printed on it. Fun to have the last laugh.
I was told the Harmans were made in the USA, St Croix and Bixby as well probably more but after 2006 the various companies tried making them over seas. Some models I remember AES had one that they had problems with and I am sure other companies did too.

I think you're right rona, I think the AE cast was from some eastern European country like Croatia or close. Some dealers think China is perfectly ok to source all aspects of the hearth products from as well as assembly. I'm just the opposite, I think we should at least have the assembly here in the U.S. or Canada. Support North American workers when at all possible.

What are you running now rona? I think you said you "had" an AE. I'm kind of glad I did not get one. I think the M55 will be a much better unit. I can't wait to try one!

AR

ARGlock said:
rona said:

I like the look of the M55 Cast too. I think Vermont Casting made the M55 cast portion but I'm not sure if it is made here in the U.S.. Maybe someone on this forum knows this answer? I do think the M55 will work better than the AE since it does not have to go through the cleaning "shutdown" cycles of the AE.

AR

The Omega and the M55 don't have a shutdown cycle to clean the burnpot. But they do have a clean or fuel burn off cycle in the multifuel mode. It basically goes to a low fire condition for a bit(I have never timed it) to burn off the excess fuel. Once the cycle is complete it goes right back to a high fire setting. No extra wear on the igniter. But if you need to crank out the heat with corn or another multifuel. It does get annoying. This is one of the reasons I burned switchgass and grass pellets in the pellet mode. I also ran corn in the pellet mode. I just lowered the feed trim and increased the damper setting. Stove just purred along for me! I was running in the high low setting so the burnoff happened once the stove hit the stat temp. But even if the stove was in Auto/Off setting. The control is programmed to go to low fire for about 15 minutes before it goes to a full shutdown.

I don't know all the details of this cycle. I asked Enviro for more info, But never got a reply. One would think they would give the stove owner something to chew on. I would really like to know some details if anyone has any info?

I have to admit though that the Meridian looks very nice, doesn't it....lol

pelletdude said:

pelletdue, how big is the ash pan on that unit, doesn't seem to hold much, does it?

I think Enviro must be overwhelmed with e-mail. About 6 months ago, I received a reply rather quickly from them on one question I had. Recently I've sent two and have not heard from them as of yet on either one. It could be the M55 is such a sucess that everyone is wanting info at once! Who knows!!

At any rate, it looks like a great unit. I'm hoping the parts supply will not be any problem through Enviro. I wonder why we don't have an Enviro section over on IBC. It looks like this brand has really gained a foot hold. Oh yea, rona, we better behave over here on the hearth forum. :) If they find out we're from IBC they may make us behave ourselves!!! :)

AR

geek said:
I have to admit though that the Meridian looks very nice, doesn't it....lol

So when are you picking it up? :lol: wifey wins!

geek, I honest would like to see you in a multifuel unit. You will love it on this side! ANY pellet is burnable in it. You know my multifuel stove spiel already. But if the looks aren't there or cash is too steep. The Meridian(or clone) is a good stove and will serve you for many years to come. As long as you give it TLC. TLC makes the difference. It will burn clean pellets no problem and cranks out great heat. But it can be pellet picky, No cheap junk with this stove! Thats ok, If you have problems burning some just call me. My Omega will help you out with that issue. What are friends for anyway? :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.