My dilemma purchasing new stove.....oh wife..!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ARGlock said:
I think Enviro must be overwhelmed with e-mail. About 6 months ago, I received a reply rather quickly from them on one question I had. Recently I've sent two and have not heard from them as of yet on either one. It could be the M55 is such a sucess that everyone is wanting info at once! Who knows!!

At any rate, it looks like a great unit. I'm hoping the parts supply will not be any problem through Enviro. I wonder why we don't have an Enviro section over on IBC. It looks like this brand has really gained a foot hold. Oh yea, rona, we better behave over here on the hearth forum. :) If they find out we're from IBC they may make us behave ourselves!!! :)

AR

My emails were along time ago, Way before the M55 was released. I don't think they had much on the multifuel mode then.

Shhh, They will boot us if they find out. I go there for my corn tips! Not the same handle though. There is some info in the other section. But I think I am the only Omega owner over there.

j-takeman said:
geek said:
I have to admit though that the Meridian looks very nice, doesn't it....lol

So when are you picking it up? :lol: wifey wins!

geek, I honest would like to see you in a multifuel unit. You will love it on this side! ANY pellet is burnable in it. You know my multifuel stove spiel already. But if the looks aren't there or cash is too steep. The Meridian(or clone) is a good stove and will serve you for many years to come. As long as you give it TLC. TLC makes the difference. It will burn clean pellets no problem and cranks out great heat. But it can be pellet picky, No cheap junk with this stove! Thats ok, If you have problems burning some just call me. My Omega will help you out with that issue. What are friends for anyway? :cheese:

you stamped it, hold your words....lol

I'm sure she'd love the cast M55 but let's see what she says when she knows the price to be higher......did I say keep it quiet and shut my mouth....lol.....

Anyhows, man why is it that when I'm "all set" in my hunt venture then the road block, why didn't they make the M55 a bit "nicer" ?.....grrrr..

ARGlock said:
I wouldn't buy a new Quad CB1200. They are currently made in CHINA. The M55 looks like a better unit with higher BTU output. In my opinion, Quad has sold their factory staff out to Chinese underpaid robots!!!

My 2 cents worth.

AR

Bought my Quad last year.. Runs like a champ... I like walking around in my gitch and rubber boots inside when its -40C outside.... Pour pellets in.. and enjoy the heat!

I think every stove has its positives and negatives.

SmokeyTheBear said:
geek has already lost and the doghouse was relocated to the manure pile behind the neighbors barn.

Poor geek.

still fighting smokey...........LOL.....dog house, no way..!!

j-takeman said:
Have you shown here an Omega yet?

those are VERY nice but more $$ I assume.

I have some Bixbys that have been treating me well. I have two 115s one in the upstairs our ranch style house and one 115 in my shop. I also have a Bixby UBB in the basement for when the temps reach -10 and worse. This sounds like a over kill but I bought them right and know how they work so am happy with them. Price was right plus that 30% rebate did help. The UBB tosses out some serious heat if needed-70,000 btu so we have no cold corners. One reason I went this route was parts are interchangable in all three stoves so that was a factor.
I may try something different this fall. I've been looking into putting a hot water kit in a Harman PC45 and hooking it up to the hot water heat we have in our house. If this works like I have been told we will replace a fuel oil 106,000 btu hot water furnace.
This burning corn and or pellets has become a hobby for me and if I succeed with this hot water kit I will have come full circle as I started out with a PC45 6 years ago.

geek said:
j-takeman said:
Have you shown here an Omega yet?

those are VERY nice but more $$ I assume.

I think you might be able to get it close to the M55 cost, Maybe less as they are going to phase them out for the Maxx M. It will be less than the M55 cast anyway. It's a heat cranking beast with more BTU's than you can need but it will burn on a lower setting just fine. I only need the #3 setting to keep my shack warm. My bigE was maxed out on the cold days. I have yet to need higher than setting #4. I actually use less pellets now than when I was using the bigE, Due to being a more efficient stove(more heat in the house=less out the vent!).

One key feature with the multifuel control panel is there are 5 heat settings just like the Meridian. But each heat setting has 5 feed trim levels to better adjust your fuel curve. And the M55 also has 5 settings for the combustion blower trim. So you can easily tweak for any pellet(or multifuel) with out messing with the damper adjustment. This is one thing that the Meridian just doesn't offer. So basically you can only adjust the air on the Meridian.

Here is the Omega in action!

geek said:
j-takeman said:
geek said:
I have to admit though that the Meridian looks very nice, doesn't it....lol

So when are you picking it up? :lol: wifey wins!

geek, I honest would like to see you in a multifuel unit. You will love it on this side! ANY pellet is burnable in it. You know my multifuel stove spiel already. But if the looks aren't there or cash is too steep. The Meridian(or clone) is a good stove and will serve you for many years to come. As long as you give it TLC. TLC makes the difference. It will burn clean pellets no problem and cranks out great heat. But it can be pellet picky, No cheap junk with this stove! Thats ok, If you have problems burning some just call me. My Omega will help you out with that issue. What are friends for anyway? :cheese:

you stamped it, hold your words....lol

I'm sure she'd love the cast M55 but let's see what she says when she knows the price to be higher......did I say keep it quiet and shut my mouth....lol.....

Anyhows, man why is it that when I'm "all set" in my hunt venture then the road block, why didn't they make the M55 a bit "nicer" ?.....grrrr..

I honestly think they were trying to rival the Harman with that look. Harman has had the crowd for many a years with that style. Heck they even made the hopper extension just like Harman did. Almost a total copy cat IMO. Pete and Gio call them toilets and when you put the extension on they do look just like one!

In time we may see the multifuel engine plugged into the Meridian and the Evolution. Seems they maybe expanding there multifuel lineup. We may even see it in the Mini someday. But the M55 was ground up build that they directed towards competing with the Harman PC45 and smaller PC series pellet stoves.

M55 in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-FrAKB2vWk

Here's the PC45 and info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVfixWXBaG8&feature=related

geek said:
pelletdude said:
Just arrived today - The new M55 Cast - painted. I am loving this stove. List price $3,449.00 Everything on this stove is top shelf - magnets hold the door - very powerful. Fit and finish is awesome.

pelletdue, how big is the ash pan on that unit, doesn't seem to hold much, does it?

The Ash Pan is 9" X !3" X 3.75" deep

Attachments

• M55 Cast Ash Pan.jpg
    M55 Cast Ash Pan.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 362
More options for you on a multifuel stove with the looks your wifey wants.

Rona mentioned the Bixby Maxfire stove. It has multifuel features and the looks are kind of what you are trying to find. They have a neat control panel you can connect your laptop to and monitor the stove. It allows you to change just about every setting on it. There is a guy selling them on eBay for less than $2K. But you will have to pick Rona's brain on them, as I have not tinkered with one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bixby-Corn-pell...727?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a524acfbf

I have been picking up parts for friends stoves and I stopped at Hocon house the other day. They carry St Croix and I picked up a brocure. The Lincoln is something that has the look you want and the multifuel burner. I have not tinkered with one of these either!

http://www.stcroixstoves.com/mf-lincoln.php

http://www.hoconhearthhouse.com/

It has the same burnpot as the Revolution furnace. a member hossthehermit has the Revolution. He might be able to explain some of the features????

Last I knew Hocon House carried the Regency brand stoves. The GF55 is the clone of the Meridian. You can show here that model while you are there looking. One warning Hocon is pricey and I am not that impressed by them overall. One good clue is they think O'malleys are great pellets. :sick:

OK, thats it, I am all worn out digging for you. Whew! :)

Regency in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq8NPovus8Y&feature=related

That Lincoln is not a bad looking free standing stove! Wish they had it in an insert. As you may know, it has a separate smaller hopper that holds pellets. The fire is started with pellets then goes over to corn or wheat or other MF. They have now gotten most all of the bugs worked out of it. It retails for $3,429. before tax for the black door unit, add 195.00 for the gold door. St. Croix is a great company but again your service is only as good as your local dealer. I happen to be one of those so if you all need info on St. Croix, don't hesitate to ask. We recently picked up the line earlier this year.

What was the retail of the M55 again?

Good Luck,

AR

ARGlock said:
That Lincoln is not a bad looking free standing stove! Wish they had it in an insert. As you may know, it has a separate smaller hopper that holds pellets. The fire is started with pellets then goes over to corn or wheat or other MF. They have now gotten most all of the bugs worked out of it. It retails for $3,429. before tax for the black door unit, add 195.00 for the gold door. St. Croix is a great company but again your service is only as good as your local dealer.

Good Luck,

AR

Insert would be this:

http://www.stcroixstoves.com/mf-ashby.php

j-takeman said:
ARGlock said:
That Lincoln is not a bad looking free standing stove! Wish they had it in an insert. As you may know, it has a separate smaller hopper that holds pellets. The fire is started with pellets then goes over to corn or wheat or other MF. They have now gotten most all of the bugs worked out of it. It retails for $3,429. before tax for the black door unit, add 195.00 for the gold door. St. Croix is a great company but again your service is only as good as your local dealer.

Good Luck,

AR

Insert would be this:

I know, what I forgot to mention was a larger BTU insert. I'm needing to offer a 50,000 BTU or above insert for larger homes.
I've got all the current pricing if anyone needs this data for a potential St. Croix purchase.

AR

ARGlock said:
j-takeman said:
ARGlock said:

Good Luck,

AR

Insert would be this:

I know, what I forgot to mention was a larger BTU insert. I'm needing to offer a 50,000 BTU or above insert for larger homes.
I've got all the current pricing if anyone needs this data for a potential St. Croix purchase.

AR

Ahhh, Gotcha. What was your gut feeling with the St. Croix?

I know bixby was working on one, But I think they have steered away from the stoves and have been messing with the clean coal thing.

The Ashby is really nothing more than a York insert setup like the Auburn. The Auburn is a tried and true unit. It is a good stove if you can live with 40,000 btu. The Lincoln had some issues but have been cured as we understand. I've not seen a Lincoln burn so I can't tell you from first hand experience. Maybe there are others on the forum that have had first hand experience with the improved Lincoln? If so, please give us a report.

As for as a higher BTU insert, I think the new Enviro is going to be a WINNER!! I can't wait to see one firsthand.

AR

ARGlock said:
The Ashby is really nothing more than a York insert setup like the Auburn. The Auburn is a tried and true unit. It is a good stove if you can live with 40,000 btu. The Lincoln had some issues but have been cured as we understand. I've not seen a Lincoln burn so I can't tell you from first hand experience. Maybe there are others on the forum that have had first hand experience with the improved Lincoln? If so, please give us a report.

As for as a higher BTU insert, I think the new Enviro is going to be a WINNER!! I can't wait to see one firsthand.

AR

Thanks AR, I also think the Enviro has a winner with the cast FS and Insert. Now I hope they start on the Furnace line up.

Are you going to burn corn in that insert?

j-takeman said:
ARGlock said:

AR

Thanks AR, I also think the Enviro has a winner with the cast FS and Insert. Now I hope they start on the Furnace line up.

Yes, we are in an area of abundant corn and wheat. Multifuel is really the only way to go in our area since we see years where corn can be lower than our local pellet pricing. I like having the option to burn whatever you want. I just hope Enviro can keep up with the demand for the new MF units. I'm stomping at the bits to test one!!!!!

AR

ARGlock said:
j-takeman said:
ARGlock said:

AR

Yes, we are in an area of abundant corn and wheat. Multifuel is really the only way to go in our area since we see years where corn can be lower than our local pellet pricing. I like having the option to burn whatever you want. I just hope Enviro can keep up with the demand for the new MF units. I'm stomping at the bits to test one!!!!!

AR

The MF units are very good. We have burned all varies of wood pellets, Acai berry pits, cherry pits, wheat, corn and switchgrass pellets. The only fuel i didn't like was the Acai Berry pits, a little large and a funky burned coffee smell and blue smoke. Good heat a lot of ash.

pelletdude said:
ARGlock said:
j-takeman said:
ARGlock said:

AR

AR

The MF units are very good. We have burned all varies of wood pellets, Acai berry pits, cherry pits, wheat, corn and switchgrass pellets. The only fuel i didn't like was the Acai Berry pits, a little large and a funky burned coffee smell and blue smoke. Good heat a lot of ash.

I have burned corn, switchgrass and timothy grass. Stove handled them all just find. Like pelletdude says more ash than wood pellets though!

Pelledude, Do you still have an Omega in stock?

j-takeman said:
pelletdude said:
ARGlock said:
j-takeman said:
ARGlock said:

AR

AR

I have burned corn, switchgrass and timothy grass. Stove handled them all just find. Like pelletdude says more ash than wood pellets though!

Pelledude, Do you still have an Omega in stock?

NO Jay,

I never brought one in. A little pricey. Now with the Cast available - i would have to order the Omega if some was interested.

One factor i need to consider also is the height of the current hole from the previous stove, if i measure from the floor to the middle of the hole in the pipe there are about 17 inches, buying a new stove where its outlet is a little lower should be no problem as i can just build the pad just a bit higher. In my preliminary reviews i saw the install guide for the Quad 1200 and it looks like the pipe is only about 8" in height, if true then that's no good as i'd need to build the pad too high to compensate, am i wrong with this.

With the other units looks like their pipe is just about 17 inches.

geek said:
One factor i need to consider also is the height of the current hole from the previous stove, if i measure from the floor to the middle of the hole in the pipe there are about 17 inches, buying a new stove where its outlet is a little lower should be no problem as i can just build the pad just a bit higher. In my preliminary reviews i saw the install guide for the Quad 1200 and it looks like the pipe is only about 8" in height, if true then that's no good as i'd need to build the pad too high to compensate, am i wrong with this.

Geek, you need to just go ahead and bite the bullet, break the piggy bank, rob the local 7 eleven and have Pelletdude order you a new M55 Enviro. I would shop around for some good dog house bedding just in case the misses throws you out of the house though. :) :)

AR

geek said:

Here ya go buddy. :)

Enviro

M55 is 18 1/4"

M55 cast is 15 1/2"

Omega is 14 3/16"

Meridian is 18 5/8"

Regency

GF55 is 20 5/16"

VistaFlame

VF100A is 20 1/4"

VF55 is 18 1/4"

Any other model you need?